1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many texts do you send per week?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 30, 2012.

1. 0. I don't text.

21 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. Under 50. Probably because I'm over 50.

28 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. Between 50 - 500.

27 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Between 500 - 1000.

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Over 1000. See yas at the rehab.

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Was eating pizza after a gig in the city last night, and watching the people texting. Was seeing a lot of girls sitting with guys doing it. Made me think how horrible it could be if I were still dating (happily married and w the same lady 15 yrs.). I have a peeve about people sitting with others and texting, unless it's some kind of emergency or truly necessary situation.

I think also that a lot of people are in total denial about having an addiction to this. They CAN'T leave their cellphones alone for any consistent periods of time without freaking out.

Anyhow, thought I'd start a thread asking how many texts you think you send on an average per week, and open the discussion. Do you think you have an addiction to this? How would you feel if you couldn't text for a week? How do you feel about others texting while you're with them? Did you ever text while having sex? Ya know, that kind of stuff.

As fer me, I'd say I average under 50 texts a week.

2. I've only started texting with any sort of of regularity pretty recently. So, I'd say I keep it under 50 a week too. But I feel like I rely on my phone too much to escape awkward situations...

3. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I text about 20-30 times a week, bit that's not what drives my wife nuts. It's actually surfing the net from my phone (paricularly talkbass :)) I'm not sure if it's an addiction, but it sure is one hell of a compulsion.

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Under 10. I used to text more but don't have the need to right now.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I average about 550 texts a month... so that'd be about 135 a week.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My main gig keeps itself organized through texting. A few of the clubs we book work exclusively via text. Used to be Email but someone left and the younger people that followed are more text compatible. Which I hate as there is not much of a record... I still have a couple of personal visit or phone holdouts amongst my booking contacts. Dinosaurs...

I do a couple of the when are you home for dinner style texts with my wife and that's about it...

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I always hated and never understood texting. Until I got a cell phone. I much prefer texting to a phone conversation, that's for sure.

8. Way less than 50, usually less than 5 a week.

9. I text like a pack of teenage girls. I often rack up 100 to my wife in one day. Cut that in half(50), multiply by the 5 people I'll hit in a typical day(250), multipy THAT by 7 days a week... I'm bad. I don't do it while talking/interacting w/real, live people, but yeah...
    In my defense, a good .2% is legitimate business. Maybe. :)

10. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Between 50 and 500, but probably about 100. Important texts, about 5.

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I'm around the 50 mark.
    Mainly with my kids.
    If it wasn't for texting, I wouldn't "talk" to them as much.

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I easily text a few hundred a day. In a week, it's got to be close to 1000.

13. Just got to the better half of my forties and I think I do Somewhere around fifty.

14. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i have no idea how many i send.. i have an iphone, so sending one is pretty easy, i woulden't be surprised if it was 1K+ per week.

i agree that it can be rude if your with someone in the middle of a sentence and they look down and start answering a text. that said i feel theres nothing shameful, bad, or wrong, about sending thousands of texts a month. its how people communicate now.

i see so many people (older, people.. usually) who seem to just have the idea of texting. i dont understand it. when the first telephones were invented, were there people cringing at the idea of it, while they still wrote letters and mailed them, for no other reason that they just dont like it being easier?

most 20 year olds will (and generally do) agree that actually calling someone has become a somewhat "formal" thing to do these days. if i call someone it means i need to talk to them either for an extended period of time, or it's something fairly urgent.

i dont think anyones really addicted to it. i sometimes like to leave the phone in the car or whatever while i do certain things- workout, fishing, rehearsing, practicing, ext.

15. I'm easily over 1k!. Just between 3 days, between my friend and I.. we sent 1000+ texts. I'm 15 though..so...

16. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    I have a hard time hearing on the phone so I much prefer texting. That said, I only text a few friends, and very sporadically. Not daily, for sure.

I do text with my kids often throughout the day. It's been helping a lot with me working. I can keep track of them that way and it's easier to text from work than use the phone. And yes, when I'm home, I'll text my son who's in his bedroom that supper is ready. :)

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Text my Wife, my Daughter, and people I network with. Rarely idle chit-chat where it'd be rude to parties I'm with. But still easily in the 50-500 range. It's not that hard to reach that if the Fami is making plans on the fly or coordinating between 5-8 other members of the myriad of bands I am in.

It's not an addiction for me, but rather a convenience, tho not a necessity. I am not slavish to tech nor loathe to it. Square in the middle embracing it as it suits my needs, how it was intended.

18. Holy cow. I don't think I've sent 50 texts in my whole life.

19. Find a friend who loves to text.. or text me. Your texting bill will go up! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: :hyper:

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So your priorities or activities are focused elsewhere, that's cool too.