How many times a week does your band play/practice/gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JimS, Mar 26, 2003.

1. less than once per week

11 vote(s)
  2. 1x week

37 vote(s)
  3. 2x per week

23 vote(s)
  4. 3x per week

22 vote(s)
  5. 4 or more times per week

10 vote(s)
  1. Total number of times you get together per week. Include practices and gigs, etc.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Church music group

I play most Sunday mornings and we practice before each service. We rehearse most Mondays and Thursdays. There's a monthly evening service and theres a rehearsal before that.

Gospel Choir

I've recently joined a school Gospel choir run by a teacher friend of mine. We rehearse most Fridays and on average 'gig' once a month.

My band Slacker

Last year we met 4 times-2 rehearsals 1 gig and a Christmas meal. I've recently restructured it and we have had 3 recording sessions this year.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A three hour rehearsal once a week - gigs aren't regular enough to count at the moment.

We were doing a four hour rehearsal a week but, to be honest, I think we get just as much done in a shorter time.

5. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Not enough. I keep getting better, but everyone else just gets worse :( I'm starting to think "band practice" is less about practicing and more about the acquisition of marijuana :(

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna quit that band.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Almost 100% gigs.

We only rehearse about 6 times a year to work up new material.
  7. monday, tuesday, wednsday, thursday, and usually gig at least once or twice on weekends and like 2 weekday shows a month now. we liek to practcie, our girlfriends dont care for it as much though, heh.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Once per week, two hours at a time. We basicly go thru most of our covers set and work on couple of latest additions to the set.

If we have a gig, it's one or two rehearsals couple days before it.
  9. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Dude, I'm 100% with you, My guitar player ALWAYS forget his parts, we've been practicing the same song for 2 weeks!!! it sucks!!!
  10. Rehearse 3 times a week when there's no weekend gig. 2 times when we gig which is usually a 2 nighter. That would make it 4 times a week when we gig and I've got a few other side bands as well one with the bass the other with my Mandolin. Still it's not enough. Love me tunes.
  11. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I'm in a praise and worship band that plays on Sunday and practices on Tuesday.
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    We usually practice every Sunday for a few hours at my drummer's house out in the middle of nowhere. We haven't practiced for about a month now though since we've had gigs every weekend and we never feel like practicing the day after a gig.
  13. Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    Twice a week all together, once to organize mine and the guitarist's ideas beforehand + concert (sometimes) .
    Oh and about the marijuana thing; I like marijuana and enjoy it rarely but when our guitar-maestro tokes before practise I used to get pissed at him, then once I had smoke with him and the only thing I figured turns negative is that you might have trouble with listening to suggestions but playing doesn't suffer in our case. Now we do it only after.
  14. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    We pratice usually two times a week, and we gig about once a month, though we are hoping to step that up to several times a month.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    With Lorian, we used to rehearse 3 times a week for 4 hours each.
  16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Rehearse once a week and gig once or twice a month.
  17. Four hour practice once a week, and gigs about 2x a month.
  18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I'm lucky, I think. I joined the band in March and we gig almost every weekend. Look at our schedule at I still need to learn and play some of the tunes they gave me (between 70 and 80). I like to play so it's OK and the money certainly helps, but I think a weekend off will be needed after a few months of this. I mean I have to work the day gig too. Poor me...:rolleyes: :D

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Practice once a week with the drummer, 2 times with as a duo with the guitarist, and gig Friday Saturday Sunday. I can't believe how much work we are getting. It has really kicked off! There aren't a lot of jazz musicians in my area. Lots of wineries and hotels though!
  20. We do four to six gigs a month and rehearse twice a month. Rehearsals are reserved to work on new songs or, songs we haven't performed in a long time.