Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many times a year do you guys set up\get your bass set up?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 18, 2003.

1. how many times a year do you guys set up\get your bass set up?

I'm not gonna put up a poll cuz this is gonna have too many difference answers.

Just outta curiousity.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    when ever they need it. Sometimes a couple times a month... sometimes none for 8 months. It depends on stability and enviroment.

The average is about 4 times a year for me.

3. ah thanks man...I've only had my L2500 adjusted twice this year.....as opposed to my ESP C-305..I guess since I bought it in the summer.

4. I'd like to add that it's a good idea to have a set up done if you're changing string gauges.

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    What they said.

If my action starts feeling too high, or I'm getting buzzes due to it's being low, I measure the neck relief to see if it's changed with the weather or whatever. I give it a tweak and I'm on my way. I rarely mess with the bridge once I get it set the way I like, unless I change string guages or something. I can go for years without adjusting the bridge, but I piddle with the truss rod several times a year.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    When the strings resemble an egg slicer!

Seriously, I've had my Thumb BO for about 3 years. I've only had it professionaly setup once, after about a year and a half, when I thought it had finally 'settled in'. I testement to wawick's workmanship, they hardly ever need adjusting, even in the current strange british climate changes.

I've since learnt to do the tweaking myself, so if it needs the odd tweaks a week or so after I've changed strings, then I can do it. I'll proabablt take it in for a complete setup/service when the frets start getting worn, and have the full works done.

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Depends on the bass, and how much gigging it sees...

My Modulus I hardly even need to tune before a gig, but the Fender's neck moves a bit. This summer has been incredibly warm and damp, so one or two basses needed a tweak of the truss rod. I tend to check everything quickly before gigs or when changing strings, but apart from intonation there is seldom much need to do anything.

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    It depends on the individual basses characteristics. My 68 Gibson (bought new)set neck EB3 has never had the truss rod adjusted. My neck through Cort headless only needed adjustment when I tried BEAD stringing and returned to EADG. My Yamaha BB200 has never been tweaked. My Carvin LB75 needs adjustment 4-6 times a year. Bridge and intonation needs setting up if I change brands or gauges of strings. Its been my experience that laminated necks seem more stable. YMMV

9. My Yamaha's are great for setups and tuning. I've never had to reset them up yet. And they see a lot of play, too. Altough, I'm not suprised about my TRB6, seeing as how it has two truss rods and all. It was a bit of a pain to setup. :meh: Rarely ever have to tune them either. We usually tune to me.