1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How many times can you install a neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle K, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I have a Fender neck that I abosoluty love. Recently I've been thinking about finding a different P body for it, possibly black.

I know this neck must have been on at least one bass before I got. So how many times can it be removed and re-installed before the screws don't hold the wood anymore?

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Sound like you need to install some threaded inserts before you do it next. That'll fix your issues.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There's no definite answer for your question, Agent77. Generically, the answer is "a whole lot". But if it starts to get loose, over time, you can install threaded inserts as Rip Topaz said.

But just because it's moved from on body to another, that doesn't mean it needs inserts.

Best of luck

Bob

4. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Threaded inserts.....ok. I guess I just didn't notice them in there. Thanks.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    This - I've had necks on and off atleast 5 or 6 times, with no ill effects...

- georgestrings

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I don't think he was saying that he actually had any issues, yet - it sounds like there isn't a need for inserts just yet...

- georgestrings

7. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Unless a previous owner installed them, they won't be. They aren't standard (to my knowledge) on any Fenders..

8. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    No issues with the neck at the moment, it is on there nice and tight.

When I got the neck I looked inside the screw holes expecting to see a threaded something in there, but it just looked like wood holes.

Now I know that if the neck does become loose, that it can be fixed.

Threaded inserts. Got it.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Yeah, I definitely jumped the gun. Still, if he's planning on swapping necks a bunch, it's not a bad thing to consider.

10. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Old fenders with the truss adjustment at the heel required neck removal for truss adjustment. I would guess some of those have been removed dozens of times. When you do reattach the neck, start the screws by hand, turning ccw and you should be able to feel them line up with the "threads" in the neck. Then tighten cw normally.

11. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    You can only install a neck 14 times.

After that, you get tired of it,

Tabdog

12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The issue shouldn't be with the neck, it's the body I would be concerned with. The neck screw threads don't necessarliy need to grab the neck, I have Fender necks that the screws will slide in and out with a relatively small amount of drag. It's the head of screw clamping on the neck plate that holds the neck onto the body, not the threads in the neck. If the body starts to get stripped-out then you have an issue.

13. It depends how careful you are when you put the screws back in. If you don't take care to re-engage the existing threads in the wood, the screws will cut new threads. Do that a couple of times and you will strip the threads and have to install inserts as noted above.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Maybe I'm misreading this, but that's backwards, no?

The neck screws need to thread securely into the neck, and it's a good thing for them to pass through the body easily. IOW, when the neck is mounted the body is compressed between the neck plate and the screw threads in the heel of the neck.

Added: and that's why the inserts are in the neck, not the body.

15. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Don't overtighten. Enough to hold the neck firm in place is enough. Overtightening can ruin the body anchor holes by overcompressing the wood. Especially over multiple installs.

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    No, Yes, you are correct...I'm completely high...sorry. After two barn-burner weeks I finally slept...14 Hours!! My body is awake but the brain isn't working yet.

17. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Most repair guys will drill and dowel the hole.. then re drill and screw it in. That keeps it all wood without inserts... I dont like the insert idea at all..
    I have had the neck off one of my 70s p bass at least 50 times in the last 20 year.. going from one bass to another .. jazz to a P etc.. I only had to fill the holes once.. and it its one of my main gigging basses.. and still going well

18. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    When it gets loose, stick a toothpick in there with some glue. Good as new.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1, this is what I was going to contribute until reading this post. Never overtighten, just snug the screws up.