1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how many times did it happen to you/?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yaniv, Jan 6, 2007.

1. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    how many times did it happen to you that you're telling someone that u play a bass,and he tells you "cool,do you like (insert a virtuoso's name here) stuff?"
    you say yes,no,maybe,etc.
    then he tells you "he can teach you stuff,you got a lot to learn from him,he's much better than you,he got more technique than you"
    :scowl:
    also,he's saying how many albums he sold,i dont know why but they always say that.like anyone gives a ****
    its like "come on dude,imitate him,he so much better than you!"

for some reason,after they hear me playing they forget about those virtuosos (unless they are real dip****s)

2. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    It never happened to me.
    Usually, people in the audience or just in general wouldn't know Jaco from Mark Hoppus or even that bass is a different instrument from guitar. They think there is 'bass' in dance music (as in 'bass' drum). Finding out I play bass, they'll probably say something like: "well good for you! It's good that somebody plays the bass, you know, holds the inaudible bottom together."
    But why should it bother me?
    I find that I can't (really) talk music with most of my non-musician friends because they don't know anything about it. And that's fine with me - there are plenty of other things we can talk about. When I meet some musician with a remarkably different opinion from mine about a particular player, I do what I am morally obligated to do..and state that I don't agree. Of course I give my reasons for disagreeing. I see no problem in this.
    Yaniv, you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. Vanity is a killer, just let it go.

3. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    In my experience, a good deal of people do know the differences, or, if they don't, know that bass is important in music (they just don't know that an instrument can make it. However, I agree on the first part. No one in the audience knows who Jaco or Victor Wooten or Billy Sheehan are, unless they're bassists themselves.

On that note, I think the threadstarter was referring to other bassists who do know the Jaco types.

To answer the threadstarter, the situation you described has never happened to me.

4. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    The first part i often hear "oh do you listen to ^^^ or ^^ ?"
    But the teaching part is weird , never heard of that one.

5. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    umm,never heard that phrase before.what does it mean?

6. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    well actually this thing never happened to me with bass,i know only one bassist in real life and he doesnt even know jaco
    it happened to me countless times on guitar though and i wanted to see if there's a similarity here too (im glad there isnt)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

It never happened to me. People usually tell me that I should give Victor Wooten or Gary Willis lessons.

8. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    I can't stand when I have deep philosophical conversations and as soon as I hit on something that resonates with somebody else they assume I read it somewhere or tell me I should read this person ot that. It's me and just me.

Never had the bass thing happen though.

9. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I'd cut them a little slack (although they CAN be very annoying) because at least they know what a bass is and they didn't say anything like "You play bass just cause you suck at guitar."

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    :D:D

11. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    me: i play bass man
    friend: oh...but i thought bass is just the background music or something?
    me: uhh...well, it depends on the stuff you listen to

but come to think about it, the only rock bands he know of are green day and blink 182. so i must say hes kinda right

12. It means that you feel resentful or insecure about something that's happened in the past, and you are unwilling to let it go; so it ends up affecting your behavior.