1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many times do you buy the same piece to be considered obsessive / compulsive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim C, May 18, 2011.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    A while back, I bought a 3-knob DoD FX25B filter; didn't like the big spikes
    Bought the 2-knob version; sold them both
    Have been trying some other filters although don't have access to anything other than basic mainstream; had a Mutron III but too big, fragile, valuable, and no decent bypass

Just bought another 3-knob FX25B from GC in Texas for $29 shipped
    I have convinced myself that the used ones in Texas are better

What's wrong with me?

2. You remember that you had it before, so long-term memory seems OK. A problem learning from past experiences, perhaps?

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'm right there with you. Purchased a Demeter Compulator from Bongo on here, sold it to another TB'er, later bought the same Compulator back (didn't realize it til after I purchased it), and then sold it off again to someone else.

I've also owned multiple units/versions of the DOD FX25 (three of them!), DOD FX32 (three of them!), Analogman Stereo Bi-Chorus with Depth toggle (two different ones, one side jacks, one top jacks), DigiTech XBW Bass Synth Wah (I fall in and out of love with this pedal, I've gone through at least four of them...), EHX Bassballs (three of them), Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr (sold off four of them, and also another one that I had modded into an expression pedal... I still own two...), and probably some other stuff I've forgotten and/or want another one of still...

The short version is... you have a problem... but I do too... so we're in good company here...
    :hyper:

4. Just recall why you sold it, or buy a new one to be modified to overcome any shortcomings.

5. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz: got one/traded/got another: not going anywhere! (missed the 3 modes including a nice boost!)

EHX POG2: bought one/ traded for cash plus a Boss PS-3/sold PS-3 and got a POG2 again....its WAY better than the PS-3 IMHO (POG2 is more organic with its LPF, love the detune)

EHX SMM with Hazarai: traded for one/traded it off/traded for another/ trading on Friday for a Boss DD-7 after trying one out at GC for a good hour. (it has more of what I need and it sounds better than the SMMwH IMHO)

6. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Some legitimate (or so I tell myself because I've done it several times) reasons why one might do this:

- You are now looking for a different sound than you were when you got rid of it the first time.

- You realize now that you didn't give it a fair shake the first time.

- You've since heard clips of it sounding the way you wanted it to, so you think you aughta' give it another shot.

- You found out about some 'trick' to using it that you hadn't tried before.

- You since bought some other piece of gear (bass, pedal, amp...) and think it might work better in your new mix of gear.

- You're just a mental defective.....(I often fall into this category) ;)

-JV

PS - Currently on my board, I now have as permanent residents: My 2nd Xotic BB Bass, my 3rd BBE Opto Stomp, my 2nd Way Huge Pork Loin.....all due to some combination of the reasons listed above...

7. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Aside from Mr. Mudd's snide remarks (which are probably all to true), I am happy to have company.
    It is true that the clips on You Tube sound good to me but also true that they may not represent what really happens in a room.
    Anybody have a link to either the modification to tame the peaks or to a company that offeres this service?

8. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've owned the FX25 three times and the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress twice. For the FX25, I love it solo but not the way it plays with my other pedals. For the SEM, I really like the sound of the pedal but its one of those pedals I would only use when I was fiddling around at home, so it comes and goes depending on how crowded my board gets with stuff I'm actually using.

9. Apologies for that...it was past my bedtime and I was cranky.

10. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    No Sir; didn't take it that way; was just kidding.
    The not learning from past mistakes is so close to "how could I not see this coming" which is yet another story.