Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many times do you wrap the string around the post bofore bending

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Dec 28, 2004.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    like i said,how do you all thread your strings on yhe peg

2. riotboi911

riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    i like to not cut the string. so i use all of it to wrap

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I usually cut my strings about 4 inches past the tuning post. I'm not sure exactly how many times around that is, but you get the idea. :)

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah same here, about 4 inches, it gets about 4 wraps around my tuners.

5. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
  6. Four finger-widths from the post to where I cut the string, then tuck the end in the hole and wrap / tune / stretch / tune. Done.

7. This should give you about 3-4 wraps around the post, depending on whether you have the small machines or larger Fender-type. Should be plenty of wraps..

Mag...

8. If you're doing that, aren't you running into problems with the string laying on top of itself on the post? That's asking for tuning problems, string breakage, and the string popping out of the nut.

9. I use the approximate of the distance between 3 tuners on a Fender headstock...or the equivalent of 4 inches or so.

Gives me 1-2 solid wraps around the post to cling to the starter wrap...stuff the end in the post, tune up, go.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    2-3 wraps for me, on Fender-style posts.

11. riotboi911

riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    never really had that problem, any of those

12. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    2-3 wraps around Fender and Gotoh styles. 3/4 turn on my Schaller locking tuners.

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wow I think I just learned something. I usually stick the string in the post first then wrap it once or twice and then just use the tuner. Am I doing this wrong? Could this be why I broke 2 brand new strings?