Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many times has this happened to you...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by McHack, Jul 30, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You go into a local music shop, not a GC or SamAsh or anything. An actual shop, w/ nice stuff, & people who have a clue, etc...

Well, you walk back & hear a guy who's playing, & you listen to him... Right off, he's good enough that you just wanna listen, so you listen a bit more... & then suddenly he breaks of some nasty slap riffs that you've never even heard before... Next thing you know, you start questioning yourself,,, going ***....

So, you start BS'ing the guy... Nice guy, turns out we know some of the same people, etc... But, still... you can't get those riffs outta your head, & start internalizing a competitive drive, it starts to drive you nuts!

If you've had something like this happen,,, tell me how you dealt...

2. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I go home and practice and try to play some of the things I just heard while it is fresh in my mind. I figure that maybe someday, I can be that guy laying down the insane bassline that others will ohh and awe about. :bassist:

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Music is not a competition. There is always someone that will do something that you haven't done before. The cure is pick up your bass and see if you can't learn some of what you heard.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    When I join a band who just got rid of the old guy for whatever reason I try my hardest to be better than him.

You know you're going to be compared to him by both the band and the crowd and you definetly dont want to be the worse guy.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    THAT's what I needed to hear. Don't get me wrong, I just love to play, all the time. It doesn't bug me anymore. I mean, I don't even listen to slap bass music. Flea's about as FUNK oriented as I am.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mhmm, anytime i go to the shop and have a guy show me up, i go home and practice.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

That's why I work on my singing. Maybe they won't notice my playing. :D

8. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I used to get that too. I played for a band when their bass player ditched and when we would jam or just play a song I would get those, "Thats not how he would of done it!" looks. I think it was because the old bass player contributed lyrics and he was a heck of a slapper (i'm heavily influenced by Geddy and Chris Squire so slapping isn't totally my thing). I left as soon as the band found a full time bass player but he left since he kept getting those looks :D

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I indeed know the feeling. I just joined a band 'cause their former bassist is working full time this summer and is in college for the next four years. Luckily, he had learned how to play when the band formed, and I'd been playing for more than two years prior to joining the band, so I had a bit of an edge.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Yep. And if my mind is still engaged after hearing all that great slapping, I'd probably ask the guy for some lessons right on the spot. I might even drop him a Jackson to show me a thing or two right there in the store. Never pass up an opportunity like that. And, when you're driving around, always remember where the music stores are. :)

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I cannot compete with wiser people than me on this board ...

Given that, listen and learn, assuming slap is your new style.

I think I need to be your stunt double while you fill in for me, my old friend!

;)

Or forget it, and do what you do best ...

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I do that all the time. Learned some great lessons that way. When you share a common bond like bass playing, most people are surprisingly eager to share what they know.

...just look that this huge bass forum we've got here.

13. Ya, that has happened to be several times. But with the same person everytime pretty much... that pisses me off soo bad when the SAME person shoots you down like 7 times :S.

Anyways I've caught up to that person now, thanks to lots of practice and now... there are other people that I'm trying to catch up with.

14. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i think that what musicians play in a musicstore is often the best they can do and practised so hard on (another pun intended) because they might be testing some stuff they wanna buy and want to hear what their coolest stuff sounds like on it. intentionally or unintentionally pissing off the lesser gods. it happened to me when i heard 'me & my bass guitar' by vic wooten but i know that even if i play another 100 years i'll never be able to do that.