Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many times....

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Contra|Brett|, May 6, 2005.

1. Contra|Brett|

Contra|Brett|

Oct 6, 2004
    How many times have you heard, "that's a big guitar."

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    None so far, I get "man, that's a big fiddle".

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Nope!!.. But, I do get, .......

"How do you get that thing under your Chin?"

4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I get, "Can my daughter touch your cello? Look how big it is, honey!"

5. I've long lost count! :scowl:

I've had an equally large number of people calling it a cello. It's even worse when I hear parents explaining to their kids that it's a cello. Maybe if they got off their couches and actually went out to a concert or two they might know better.

Perhaps the most bizzarre comments were, "Is that a trombone? or "Is that an oboe?" ! :eek:

6. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I've heard that a lot too, but I've also been asked where the 5th string is... Which kind of confused me.

7. My 3/4 size instrument got the, "Is that a cello? No? See honey, I told you that was a bass fiddle...." at least a couple of times, if not a half dozen. I'm waiting to see if my new 4/4 instrument gets the same reaction. It has 5 strings, but you know someone's going to say, "That's odd, I thought guitars had six strings." Educate them, but gently. You want them to enjoy the sound mostly. I do let let the kids pluck a little, if their hands are clean. I have a soft spot for them because they are usually the ones that get up and dance to the tunes they've only heard once and don't care if it's jazz, rock, blue grass or whatever. The little ones never ask you to play "Freebird" either. ;)

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah, I've gotten most of those and I've only ben dragging it around town for 3 or 4 months. Sad... I let kids touch it a little because most of them can't damage it, but when I say no it IS NO and I scold the parents, not the kids.

9. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    LOL... I love this thread. I have definitely been asked "Is that a cello?" But I wish I had a nickel for every time someone said to me (usually as I'm walking through a doorway or up a flight of stairs) "I bet you wish you played the flute... hehehe." All I can think is: look man, if I wished that I played the flute, I WOULD BE PLAYING THE FLUTE!!! It's like they think that I had no choice in what instrument to play. I usually respond to them with "no, I don't wish I played the flute because bass is a much cooler instrument." Most of the time they agree. :D

10. How about "If I played the flute I wouldn't get to have stimulating conversations like this one"? Say it with a smile and they'll wonder exactly how you meant it for days.

11. the other day a girl at college said woah!!! a basoon!!!

12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    A mover once asked me about loading "the tuba" on the truck!

I've also had the parents confidently explaining to their kids (while smiling at me) that it's a cello.

Then there's, "Too bad that thing doesn't fold up."

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Don't you just love sorority girls? I hope you asked her out. <g>

14. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ispider6
    I wish I had a nickel for every time someone said to me (usually as I'm walking through a doorway or up a flight of stairs) "I bet you wish you played the flute... hehehe." All I can think is: look man, if I wished that I played the flute, I WOULD BE PLAYING THE FLUTE!!! It's like they think that I had no choice in what instrument to play. I usually respond to them with "no, I don't wish I played the flute because bass is a much cooler instrument." Most of the time they agree.

I've always thought that the responce to the flute question should be, "I really don't wish I played the flute because I can still get work." Isn't it funny that the people who love to ask the flute question never help with the door either, they just stand their and watch you and ask annoying questions.

15. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, despite the fact that people ask stupid questions, one of my favorite recurrent scenes occurs while taking the bass out of its case. I usually get "Wow! That's really big!" All I can say to that is "Yes, yes it is. Thank you." (especially when it's a cute girl) ;)

16. I like when someone askes "how do you get that under your chin?" i say "because i can keep my mouth shut long enough"

17. You know what they say about guys with big guitars/cellos/whatevers.