1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Many Tones Do You Need?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 26, 2010.

1. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    I have two basses. They are identical, except one is fretted, and the other is fretless.

Everything else is about the music, which is supported by technique.

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Judging by my history - about 3 more than I can currently get....

So, what bass should I get next?:hyper:

Dan K.

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    How many tones do I need? I don't know. I use a passive Precision with flats, a passive Jazz with rounds, and a Stingray5 with rounds. I play in a rock/pop cover band. I try to emulate the sounds on the record. I'm not obsessive about it, though.

I can get away with using my Precision on almost everything, by alternating between finger, pick and slap playing. A Precision does not do the Jazz Bass, bridge pickup dominant thing at all, so I use the Ray or the Jazz for that sort of thing.

4. I just us a P and fiddle with the volume as needed in my current band. Last band I used a P and a fretless. I guess it depends on what you are playing within the scope of a set.

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Haha. I run my AV '57 into a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 1x15 and it sounds so good nobody worries about what might have been.:D

I once played a Tribute L2K and could get a variety of tones, but nobody cared. It never sounded as good as my current rig.