1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many tube watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Oct 2, 2008.

1. 100

16 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. 200

51 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. 300

50 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. 400

29 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. 4U's of carrots

28 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Hi, I'm in the process of looking for an all tube head or all tube power amp to use with a 400 watt Peavey 810. I play in a band w/ 2 gui****s w/ half stacks and a drummer. How many tube watts would be sufficient to be heard? One thing I'd like to add is that they only use the 50 watt settings on their amp heads because we like to be at least a little kind to our ears :D

2. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry I hit the wrong one. Make that 200 instead of 300. Although...theres nothing wrong with headroom.

3. noted.

Does anyone know of any companies that make 200 watt tube heads other than Traynor and Mesa? I think Weber is coming out with a 200 watt tube head kit for bass but who knows how long till they do..

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    isnt the new peavey 200?

5. I always been of the belief that you need at least 300 watts rms if your gonna play out of a tube bass amp and be able to push any decent bass frequencies.

6. 150 w is fine, tho if U can lift easy better to go w/ headroom of standard 300w SVT type... easy to get 2nd hand etc... THO the new PEAVEY VB-2 @200w is meant to be good, as is the ORANGE 200watter!! I run my Ampeg V4BH(100w) into an 810 often & that is great! BUT can't beat having power/vol there IF needed!!

7. oh wow! i cant believe i forgot about Orange and Peavey hahahaha:smug:

how well does your V4BH suit you?

8. LOVE me V4BH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use it more than the SVTII. GREAT Sound-actually VERY similar to the SVT, but not as much headroom. Also can get to the overdrive of the power tubes at a respectable volume....sumthin VERY difficult w/ the SVT. BUT I wouldn't get ridda the SVT anyday!!! THAT sounds AMAZING when U do get into the overdrive area. Its a '92 SVTII(NOT the 'pro' model) & has only a volume- no gain & master vol.
    But the 100w V4BH can do MOST gigs no probs. especially if U have FOH PA support. I use it thru a Berg NV610 usually, but sometimes I use my mates modern SVT810E cab & it sounds great thru either! Also good thru the NV215 too. Tho I think it suits the 10" spkrs of the 610/810 better. GREAT amp tho-the V4/B/BH line -shame they discontinued it! Plenty about 2nd hand tho -in the US, not many about here in AUS.

9. I used to play in a "fairly loud rock band" with a 50 watt tube head into an 8x10 and it was always loud enough (with just a hint of grind). That said, I felt a bit more comfortable with my 100 watt V4BH, and slightly more comfortable again with my 200 watt AD200B. Benefit of the 100 and 200 watt amps is the ability to use smaller cabs.

If you were running a smaller cab (1x15/4x10/2x12 ect) I would say 200 watts, but since its an 8x10 I think 100 should be plenty unless you want to be super clean.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Every situation is a bit different... 50 watts is a helluva lot of guitar watts! You 8X10 cab gives you a lot of speaker surface, which IME is at least as important as wattage... My '71 Ampeg V-4 is significantly louder pushing 100 Watts into a 2X15 than it is pushing that same 100 Watts into a 1X15... Same wattage, double the speaker area... Not twice as loud mind you, (though that would be nice!)...

If my guitar players were using 50 W half stacks, I'd want 300 W behind me... Like the man says, there's nothing like a little headroom!!

-robert

11. +1 Exactly

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Make sure the minimum ohms on the amp match your cab ohms.

At least 150 - 200 watts.
    Something like a Sunn 2000s would do the job. With 2 cabs you'll have to turn down.

13. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    I think it depends on your playing style and genre you are playing in.
    If you play in a loud rock-band then go for 300 or 400 Watts. (SVT, Bassman 300, or Peavey Classic 400) - I am happy with the power of my SVT as our guitars are tuned down to C. For precise low end you just NEED power.

If your 2-Guitar Band plays kind of Indie-Alternative stuff and youre tuned to regular E than a 200 Watt (Reeves, Orange) or even 100 Watt (Vintage Ampeg V4) can make you happy.

I voted for 300 Watts - hence I never played a 400 Watt Tube Amp before. (The Mesa 400+ is NOT a real 400 Watt Amp!)

14. Bear in mind you get alot more power out of tube amps when cranked then SS. SS amps will sound like **** when they create power amp distortion (basically when the power amp can't put out anymore power safely) cos they cause square waves, which are awful and do alot of damage to your speakers in any noticeable amount. This is different to (all) tube amps, which don't create square waves when they distort the power section, so you can actually get more watts (or is it just audible volume?) then the back of the amps gonna say with an all tube amp.

The only 400W tube amp I know of is the Marshall VBA400, which is a sweet amp if you ask me, heard they're a bit pricey over in the states.

This is a really good video of the Jam with Bruce - that is his name right? - using a VBA400 with the matching 4x12 cabs: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-K527n8RM

Depends what kinda sound you like, if you like a grindy tube sound then purposely get less power so you can crank the power tubes, if you like a tube sound but want it to be cleaner then get more.

15. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Not bad but not as good as his seventy seven recorded sound using a John Birch Custom Rickenbircher (Mine!) a JMP 100 guitar amp and a single rare tall marshall 4 X 12 cab. was brighter sparklier and sounded like the strings where a bit newer but maybe that had a bit to do with the old neuman U87 into the Cadac pre with a neve 33609 comp in the insert.
    His tempo follow was a lot better back then but then Paul worked them very hard on tightness back in our scout hut rehearsal room in woking.
    We tried to restring his bass as he broke the A string doing overdubs on in the city. But the only spare string we had was to take one off my bass, wouln't fit his Ibenez ricky copy so he just used mine.
    Polydor Studio 2 Sratford place Just off Oxford st at the time.
    God I feel old now.
    :ninja:

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I use a 100w V4 through a 4x10 against one guitarist and a loud drummer. Again, different requirements for different bands. Most of our gigs have PA support, and when they don't the room is usually either small enough or boomy enough that I don't need it. I haven't hit a situation where my V4 wasn't enough, but that may be a factor of our genre.

17. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008

18. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I would think that 300 watts would cover any place you might play. I have a V4B rated @100 watts through an 810E and love the tone BUT would love to have more of it, say an SVT-VR.

19. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    My Mesa 400 non-plus is only 200 watts and pushes right through the guitars....

20. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    When I do use tubes ...

It is one of the MESA "Buster" 200watt heads

:meh: ... No longer made but they do surface now and again