Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many watts do i need for jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6 string demon, Sep 4, 2004.

1. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i am looking for a smaller amp as the set up i have is way to big. ive looked at the hartke kick back 12 and enjoys the sound but is 120 watts going to be loud enough? i play with fairly big 10-14 piece bands. totally acoustic. and smaller jazz trios etc. i need a small ish amp preferably a combo and for under £400 great britsh pounds. i couldnt find anything specific to what i wanted to know. thanks for any help. the reviews for the hartke seem good but problems with how loud it is. many thanks.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    try out an Ashdown Mag or Electric Blue... little higher wattage and great tone

3. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i saw the 15"mag monday morning i'll start ringing round see who has one. many thanks :)

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I suggest a Acoustic Image Clarus head with a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 1x12". The cab is 4 ohms and weighs 27 lbs so you'll get 200 watts from the head which weighs only 5 lbs. Great sounding combination! Total cost for both around $900 US dollars. Don't know if this is in your budget but you should check it out.

5. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    over here that stuff costs alot more. EA is in my future, but right now i need something really cheap. darn VAT :(

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hmm, i always thought that the kickback 12 had one of the best loudness to size/weight ratios i've come across.

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    more is always better

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    800 is the absolute minimum.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I was gonna say 2500.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    really, jazz starts at 2 million watts...............at least 16 8x10 cabs

12. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    The kickback 12 will provide enough for a jazz big band and more than enough for trio and quartet gigs on upright. I found one used for $250 US. Quickly grew tired of the aluminum cone w/my upright. Son now uses it in his school big band and is going to flat wounds to round out the tone.

Thinking of replicating the cab as I like the size and tilt feature. Any body like to suggest a speaker to go with a Mesa Walkabout or Walter Woods head?

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    A lot of guys have gotten by with 200-300 watts. Having more then you need is always nice though.

14. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Most L.A. Jazzers use Polytones, they are around 130 watts these days, older ones are less.

15. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The Gallien Krueger Microbass combos are very popular among jazz cats.