1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how many watts do you need to jam with a band?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Jul 19, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    no PA.

I'm talking about a garage jam or living room jam/rehearsal

nothing mic'ed

drum kit + 100 watt tube amp with 4x12 cab

genre: metal and alternative rock

how many watts would be ideal for this situation?

2. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    Without knowing the size of the room

My guitarist plays a 100 watt amp
    My drummer is loud

I am pushing about 530 watts out of a 8 ohm Avatar 212 Delta cab and have enough power.

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    200 - 300 W bass amp/combo (either 4x10" or 2x10")

if the guitar amp is about 100 - 120 W

and you can tame the drummer.

general idea
    my €.02

4. I would say a 100 watts indoors if everybody keeps the volume down, but knowing how jams go 300 watts would have you covered indoors or outdoors. Anything under a 100 watts is going to sound like a fart if people start cranking up.:smug:

5. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    i'll have 280 watts with an 8 ohm 4x10.

I guess that will do..

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It really depends on the room and how loud everyone is. I can rehearse with my seven piece band (horns, keys, guitars, drums) in a basement with a Hartke 60 watt combo no problem. It all depends on how loud you all get.

7. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    That should do it. Make sure the drummer is not playing too loud, and make sure that the guitar player is not turned up to insane volumes. If one stupid person gets the idea to play too loud, then everyone joins in. You should all be just loud enough to balance the drummer, and your drummer should not be playing full on hard. And don't feel like you need to turn up the "bass" of your amp. If you turn up the volume and then pull up the "bass" frequences, your sound could turn muddy and unclear and give you the incorrect impression that you need more wattage.

8. I would say 200- 350 would do, Also IMO it is better to have more then enough power with some headroom and just turn down if needed rather then pushing a unit to it's limit and getting a bad tone and distortion.:D

9. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I can always ask my friend for the the other 1x15 8 ohm cab and run everything at 4 ohms/around 500 watts, but I don't know if I should.

10. Kind of off topic, but it seems like overkill to me to have a 100 watt tube amp with a 412 cab for a garage/living room jam :eyebrow:

11. I play in a living room with a markbass LMII so 500 watts though 410s and one 18 both cabs at 8ohm, and my guitar player and his 3/4 stack(fender twin 2x12 combo and marshall 4x12) and his 100 tube watts and my loud ass drumer (with his 28''x20'' bass drum)cant over power me, and i can go as quiet as I want, plus gig with this same set up Id recommend it

12. sheer genius seriously listen to this guy if you can get your band to sound good quiet youll only sound better piss loud

13. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    My band practices at club volumes. Great for practicing your string muting. At lower volumes you dont pick up the string noise.

14. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Suspended

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Yea, That and a dozen pedels.
    Kids!

15. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    One of my guitar players has a small 1x12 combo, and a 4x12/100 watt tube head. I prefer the sound of the 4x12 and some tubes at ANY volume. A good guitar player should know how loud they need to be, and when they need to not be loud.

16. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    are you going combo or head/cab?

if you have the money i wouldnt even bother getting a combo.

if you play rock/metal with a hard drummer and 100 watt tube amps you are going to want some power behind you.

17. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    Raising the amp to ear level works wonders for me... I practice in a 20 x 10' room with drums and guitar (playing through Mesa and Fender combos) and use a 200 W 2x10 Yorkville combo on top of a 18 + 2x10 no name cab that happened to be there, and I get all the volume I need. I actually don't run my bass at full volume!

18. I'm in a similar situation. 280w will only get the job done for a little while, if you're gonna be jammin, go as many watts as you can and you won't be sorry.

19. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Suspended

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    30 works for me.

20. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    eleven. :bag:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021