Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many watts do you think the b2r sounds like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Just curious..

i think running it 4ohms sounds more like 260 watts rather than 350.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    In reality there isn't much noticeable difference between those two ratings so you're actually sort of right. Ampegs have a warmer voicing (i.e. more bass out of the box) which dioesn't help in terms of sounding loud at a given wattage/volume. Turn up your low mids instead of the bass and it'll sound a lot louder.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's nice. And since when did a number of watts have a sound?

Seriously though, that's such a tiny difference in terms of dB output, that the EQ shape makes much more difference in terms of apparent loudness. Hence a midrangey 300W SVT sounds much louder than a scooped 300W SWR (it's not just down to the 'tube watts' thang).

Alex

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It also depends--enormously--on the sensitivity and tonal characteristics of the cabinet you're running it through. You just can't say, 400 W is supposed to sound this loud, and 260 W is supposed to sound that loud.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    This is a subject that has been talked about quite a bit here. Especially the "under powered Ampeg" discussion. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure some of you will ;)) but isn't it pretty much commonly accepted that to have a noticable difference in volume (all other things being equal,same bass, speakers, cables, ss power amp not tube etc....) That you would have to double/half the wattage to hear a difference? So in other words an SVT 3 pro's 450 watts to be heard as "the quietest 425 watts you'll ever hear" means it would only be putting out 225 watts. And to double or half the volume you would have to multiply/divide the watts by 10x times? These are both statements that I have read here at talkbass many times and seem to have been accepted as truth by everyone.