1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many watts for a keyboard amp if I have a 200-300 watt (SS) bass amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 21, 2008.

1. My rule of thumb is that a 50 watt guitar amp matches a 200 watt bass amp nicely. How about the wattage for a keyboard amp? I am planning on buying a keyboard within the next few months.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Since keyboards are full-range instruments they require the same kind of low end power that bass amps need. So figure on a similar Wattage to your bass amp.

At least that's how we always did it.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Well - it depends on how loud you really need to get... If you're going to use a synth (rompler, etc) for emulations - (Organ, Sax, Piano, etc ...) you want a pretty healthy speaker.

I'm a couple of months ahead of you as I recently added an Alesis QS 6.1 to my setup. I'm about to snag a Roland 1080 or 2080 to go with it. I'm planning on building a cab with 2 Delta 12 LF's. 2 6" mid's and a couple of tweeters. I'll drive it with the 500 watts from 1 side of my Yamaha powered mixer - the other side does monitors...

At the moment in my rehersal room, I'm running a little m-audio MiXim 10 mixer with the key's in a channel, my bass in a channel and using the into my GK 1001-II/Schroeder rig. The low's are ... impressive.

If you're looking to do key's on the cheap to get started - the Alesis is pretty cool. Only thing it's missing is an arpeggiator. It does a better Hammond & Leslie, Rhodes, Clavinet and acoustic piano than the Yamaha MM6 - more on part with the MO.

I've got a little under $300 into the Alesis, a stand & a foot pedal. Mint with all the doc. Best, or at least most entertaining $300 I've spent in a long time.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That was cool to read. And it struck me as very familiar. :D

I also just recently got an Alesis. Mine is the QS 8.1. Mine was around $575 with shipping. The stand was basically free. I traded an ancient Yamaha (YC-30?) that I'd had for a million years and got for free.

5. Cool, thanks to both for the info. I'm putting my band back together with a new drummer and I've always wanted to add keys to the mix. I'm looking for a keyboard/synth that can give me cool piano tones and string synths. I'm not a big fan of the synthetic tones, I'm looking for more organic tones.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Then I have to do a short commercial for the Yamaha Motif ES series. Generally they have the best sounds out there, but they're expensive as all get out.

I actually recommend a lower level keyboard that has the same sound engine as the Motif for about two thirds the money, the S90 ES. It's pretty awesome, unless you're broke like me, then get an Alesis.

7. Thanks Bard2dbone. Can you also comment on the Nord Lead 2x? It's the only synth that I recognize. I've read it's pretty good and I've played around with a Nord Lead 3 in the past (overwhelming to a noob). Do you think I could get what I need out of that synth?

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I totally dig the Nord Electro 2, but I actually know nothing about the Lead 2x. I wish I could help you on that but I'd be pretty much talking out my butt if I tried.

9. Thanks, I appreciate the honesty!