Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many watts for my guitar player?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Aug 4, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    OK, this isnt about bass but... oh well... My band: Brad (just drums/vocals) Me (Bass/vocals/200 watt amp, Joe (guitar/ 65-120 watt amp)

My problem: He says his amp isnt loud enough to be heard over the drums. I semi- Believe him. He claims he needs a 4x10 marshall half stack

:p (we are a garage band with neighbors who barely put up with us!!!)

I'm wondering if any of u guys in garage band just use a couple hundred watt amp then ur guitarist uses a tube- 130 or something... i am not helping this clown haul around a half stack!

2. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I used to play with a guitarist who had a 40 watt amp, and that was more than enough. He never turned it up past three because it was too loud. And we were playing NIRVANA and TOOL. So tell your guitarist to stop complaining.

3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    was it tube?......my guitarist just likes big stuff (im thinking he is compensating for something:p ) im sure a 75 watt marshall tube on a stand would be more than enough... he has a line 6 spider (his dad lets him use it) and that seems loud enough.......oh well... im not paying for it..

4. I second that. I played with a guy who had a 40 watt amp, too. We played easy stuff and it was plenty.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What's he playing through - a Rogue?!?!

One of my guitarists went from a 100W Marshall 4x10 to a 100W Soldano half stack and either of them can blow out store windows. Anothe guy had a Marshall 45 watt and it screamed bloody murder if he let it.

I'm thinking your guitairist doesn't have a power/size problem but a sound quality problem. Cheaper amps/speakers sound wimpier.

He's going to be paying for a lot of volume capability he won't be able to use. It's like having a fancy Porsche in the US - lots of speed but where are you going to drive 120 mph???

The human ear picks up the frequencies a guitar produces very easily. It's the bass the ear doesn't perceive so well.

6. my guitarist uses a 50 watt all tube class A/B head( im kinda guessing) and hes just fine againts 250 watts of bass and 150 watt miced drum system. all in my basement:D

7. Man, just tell him to put his amp up at ear level (his ear, mind). That'll shut him up good (and send him home with a headache ;-) ).

Cheers Rody

8. i play in a band with two guitarists. one plays a marshall 100W and the other a fender 50W, both a re tubes. they're never too low, and we play punkrock :oops:)

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I play bass and guitar in two different bands with the same drummer. He is the loudest I have ever heard. I use a 220w bass head and a 4x10. In the other band I use a 15w tube combo and cannot get it past 3/4 volume without complaints. BTW I also use earplugs.

10. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    i have a threeplayer band too.
    guitarist: 30 watt squire(ha!ha!, Piece Of ****)
    loud enough.
    me: laney linebacker 30 RMS(the suckiest amp of their whole bassline, i have a newspeaker in it now with 240 watt instead of 150 though)
    drummer: he broke enough of sticks and drumsheets so he plays pretty loud

we're doing k :p

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    watts isn't what makes it loud. but quiality not quanity. just let him get what he wants. and you can go get a power amp with 2000 watts. and blow him away with!
    my dad has a line 6. 50 watts one 12 and it is loud!!!

steve

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Um... 50 watts is good. Thursday rules eb!

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I second what moparpunk said. Watts really isn't what makes it loud. I play sometimes with a guitarist that uses a Line 6 Spider amp, 50 alleged watts through a crappy 12" speaker. He can easily get drowned out by the drums, and could be drowned out by me if I turn my amp too high. A 4x12" half stack wouldn't pose more of a problem than being a PITA to lug around, as long as your guitarist doesn't buy into that "it has to be cranked to sound good" crap.
    A full stack (2 4x12s) for guitar, on the other hand, is just something guitarists get to look cool on stage.

14. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    ya... i was trying to seel him on this peavey transtube 2x12 130 watt just to shut him up... but... bah... I'll use that one dudes idea and put it up on the counter and make him stand by it for an hour... heck, i did that with my squire bp-15 when i was at a friends house jamming... u couldnt hear the bass unless i played a high not but i went hope with a head ache...

15. i've got a marshall 3203 artist series (i think it's 30 watts english, don't know how many that is american) and it howls pretty damn loud. i've got the preamp volume up at about 7, and the master volume at about 3.

16. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    My friend is loaded so he bought his band a bunch of full stacks so I just practice there. the bass halfstack is around 250W and both of the guitar stacks are around 200W. but I only use about 100W and my friends (guitarists) use about 60W.

17. need i say more?

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The problem could be in how you place your amps. Most tend to have their amps behind their legs, and AFAIK noone has ears down there... :) If your room/garage is small you'll stand even closer. So it's obvious you will hear more of the other instruments and less of your own. Try tilting back the speaker if possible, or place the amp at an opposite wall, facing the player, you'll be amazed how different and how much louder it sounds. It could also be a problem of EQ-ing the guitar sound, what sounds good on it's own will often get drowned out by the drums - cymbals and hihats are very broad-spectrum noise - so when all instruments are present the guitarist may have to dial in more mid-range or top-end to be heard. That's a bit tricky though, too much and it becomes painful.

19. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Re Anders comments on EQ-I bet my Cartman boxer's that Mr Leathertrousersandpoodleperm is scooping the mids.

20. How come no one's suggested killing the drummer yet? Drummers with one volume level are one of my pet peeves.

If he wants a half stack tell him to buy a hand truck. Greatest invention of the 20th century :)