Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many watts for this gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Dec 25, 2004.

1. what would a suggested amount of wattage be for playing a gig in either a nightclub or a shool gym that would have say 400 people? for a punk and or rock band?

and just out of curiosity, what about a bigger venue of around 2000 people?

I am currently playing out of a 100 watt amp and I know that wont be enough.

so whats your suggestion?

2. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    i haven't worked with performances per say but i have worked with live sound in the school gym setting. At my high school (last year actually), i ran the sound for the fall musical's and our setup was two powered monitor speakers which each had internal 150watt amps and we never went above 3/4 volume on the mixing board to fill the space with sound before the show. 100watts won't fill it but i'd say 250 would do an okay job, it mostly depends on what you talking about though--how much presence does the bass have in the music being played? the more presence then obviously the louder you equipment needs to be. Btw the gym setting with 300watts was for an audience of around 700. Hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

David.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a pa for a musical and a bass guitar rig in a punk band are two totally differnt things. I'd suggest 200 - 400 watts for the gym thing. With no Pa support for a 2000 person gig? Jeez, it depends on the actual size of the venue but i could do it with my setup - but that's 1300 watts into two 10's, a 12, and a 15.