1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many watts is "enough" watts for my fEarful 15/6?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sigurd, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    I play a Markbass SD1200 into a homemade 15/6. I've had both for about 6 years. I play in a loud classic rock cover band. I've never run out of volume with my setup. I went with the SD1200 because it sounded fantastic and I liked the sweepable low mids.

One of the other reasons I went with it was because I kept reading about how fEarfuls "need" that much power. I tried the Shuttle 9.0 ([email protected]) and it was clipping at my band's volume. Recently, I tried the Streamliner 900 and it too clipped at volume. We aren't stupid loud, but we do rehearse in a concrete basement with a metric butt-ton of junk in it. I felt like those amps just didn't have the right "push" to them. I don't know how to really describe it. I plugged the SD back in and problem solved.

I ask because I'm curious about the Quilter Bass Block 800, which is [email protected] I'm also playing with a not-as-loud band now. Am I going to run into the same problem with not having "enough" watts to run some volume with that cabinet. What does "enough" watts mean with this cab anyway? I am pretty green with sound engineering, but I'd be curious to know some science behind it. I'm a toolmaker, so I have math and technical know-how.

Thanks in advance.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
  3. I realize you ask the question out of curiosity but it sounds like you have the amp you need just currently don't need as much of it. Nice to have the extra headroom and sound you like.

4. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

One.

TrevorOfDoom likes this.
  5. fEARfuls don't reeally have a minimum.
    They can sound just fine with only a few watts.
    The thing is that they can still sound good and clear with a lot of watts.
    That is why people tend to run a lot of power into them.
    It just seems wasteful to be able to and not take advantage of it.
    IMHO they (15/6/1) seem quite happy in the 300-1,000 watt range.
    Your probelm may have more to do with the amount of 'stuff' in your practice space
    and finding an EQ that gives you what you are looking for.

Sartori likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021