how many watts neeeded

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Yes, take your 80 watts and give it a try.

11 vote(s)
  2. No, you can't show up that underpowered. They're all going to laugh at you.

8 vote(s)
  3. 80 watts is adequate power if you bring the band members carrots.

4 vote(s)
  1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay - simple question. In my experience, an 80 watt 1 x 15 combo can be adequate for jamming with drums and a guitar as long as the drummer and guitarist don't play too loud. With some drummers / guitarists 80 watts would not be nearly enough. Would it be a bad thing to respond to bassist wanted ads and show up for an audition with 80 watts hoping to get by - or would it be better to wait until I've upgraded and could bring along a bigger amp before even responding to ads? I don't want to ruin my reputation before I ever get a reputation by being unprofessional and showing up with inappropriate gear. But, on the other hand, I don't want to stay home waiting to save the money when I could maybe out playing. I suppose I could ask the ad placer how loud the band plays. What do you guys think - Peavy TKO115 combo (80w) - Go ahead and try the audition, or wait on auditions until I could bring more wattage along with me.
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Go for it! Some bands gig with equipment like that. If you want to audition, don't cheat yourself by not even trying.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea that should be fine.
  4. Wel the line above says it all, I've got no experience at all with auditioning but i guess thay are looking for someone to play bass in their band, if you are the one to do the job but lack power than they shoold grin and lump it.

How stupid would they look if they refuse you now for your low wattage and later can't have you 'couse you are in a way better/cooler band and they are stuck with a guy having 500W and no skill to use them.

go for it.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When you call to follow up on the ad simply ask what the audition will be like.

Heck, they may have a bass rig in their practice space for you to use.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Kind of like others before me have said - go for it and let your skills speak for you more than your amp power.

HOWEVER - one thing I have always let bands know, when I have had auditions, is that I can always UPGRADE to a bigger rig if that what the situation calls for. That means stowing away some bucks to back up your word. I keep cash on-hand to get an outrageous rig, but my current stack gets me by.

Moreover, if someone said they had an "80W TUBE amp" as opposed to an 80W solid state amp, I would definately consider them a more serious contender.

The bottomline is - if this band is going to be making a steady flow of income for you, weekly, you can always put money down on the rig you really need to get by and make monthly payments on a 0% credit card. Don't finance through the store/seller, as a rule of thumb. The plastic card wolves are very hungry these days and offer 0% financing if you pay off the balance soon enough.
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing...I saw an ad on campus for a bassist wanted. But they'd prefer somebody with a 5er and the equivalent of a 4 x 10 cab (that sounds like they may already be gigging, but I'm sure its for an upstart band)...

I thought about calling them to see if I could audition with my 100w Kustom and I can always give my credit card a workout, and maybe forget about a 5 string since bass players are pretty scarce around here--but I also don't want to make a fool of myself at the same time.
  8. I'd go ahead and audition...I mean, the worst that can happen is the band says "no." :)
  9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If it's an audition, bring the 15 watt. Easier to pick up and leave with.
    If it's an audition and a jam, bring the 80.

If it's a performance, you can negotiate, but you have done one of the 2 above as well.

Just lay it out in advance, it's an audition, not Lollapalooza. If you like each other, there is always greater firepower.

Also, if they don't have the discipline to turn down to hear you audition, you will find out in the first 5 mins. Auditions are two edged, you are also exploring where they are at.
    One of the most impressive bands I ever saw had VERY small amps, but huge sound. Mahavishnu Orchestra.