1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many watts to play over loud guitars?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miltonbbb, Apr 8, 2010.

1. miltonbbb

miltonbbb

Apr 8, 2010
    I posted a threat recently, so sorry i this is a repeat but its not. I just realized my band is no becoming a 5 piece(2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drum, 1 singer). I will now likely have to keep up with...

all maple pearl drums
    50w marshall tube + 4x12
    100w marshall solid state + 4x12

We play hardcore/punk music, its heavy and the guitar is loud...:bawl:

How much power will I need for this? Initially I was going to go for 300 and a 4x10 but i have a feeling i will be needing more.

What you guy think?

2. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    It's quiet simple, actually.

I13-15-FourierSeries.
    Just use that formula, and you'll be golden.

f(x) tells you how many watts your head should be
    a0 tells you how many watts for a cab
    an tells you how many drivers you need
    and bn tells you which pickguard is best for metal.

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'd say 2,000 watts minimum.
    And 2x8x10.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    600 to a 1000 watts & 6 or 8 10's or 4 12's
    OR
    run a line to the PA

5. miltonbbb

miltonbbb

Apr 8, 2010
    I know how to integrate, yet your joke isn't funny.

6. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    ONLY 2,000???

4x12 is 48, x 50 watts, (however it's 50 tube watts, and everyone knows that tube watts are 3 times louder than ss watss) so that x 150 watts, so total you need 7,200 watts just to keep up with that guitar.

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I think they've got an answer for you somewhere over here.

Oh and, 2,000 was obviously referring to tube watts. Why would even bother using SS? They're useless toneless godless amps.

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Don't forget the equation that takes into account whether the OP's bass is equipped with a flux capacitor. ;)

9. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    in that case, he'll need.....

20040615_giga_e. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

10. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Don't fret someone will come with a good answer. I've been on this board for a long time and I still don't know~!

I recently got a peavey 4ohm cab and a 450 watt ampeg solid state head and it doesn't seem like enough.

Now I'm thinking I might need to go 800-1000 perhaps or maybe read more about the magical tube loudness I've read about.

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    LOL:D

12. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Well there is no straight answer. It's all subjective. Watts aren't an indication of loudness, and all amps sound different. There are too many variables to just say "You need 500 watts into an 8x10, no more, no less".
    And to be fair, one of those was just a sum. so :spit:

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That may be because there is no one simple answer to such questions.

Even if you were to buy a head that puts out 4,000 watts, your choice of loudspeakers, equalization preferences, the environment in which you play, whether or not bass is going through the PA, your playing style, the kind of music you play, and numerous other factors would all need to be taken into account.

14. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I'd say at least 2 watts.

15. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    i run around around 180 watts (mesa 400) into an ampeg 8x10 and that seems to work fine in my hardcore/punk band.

however, on both my jazz bass and P bass my pickguards are black, so those numbers may be off a bit.

Edit: the head is in a Calzone road case which may add or take away from the actual perceived volume. i'm not sure.

Tewest86 likes this.
  16. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    3000 watts and 16 -10's does the job for me! Low frequencies never seem to drown out high frequencies, but massive power can make a Marshall stack sweat!

attachment.

Attached Files:

17. Honestly, it depends on the amp. Manufacturers aren't so accurate with wattage rating these days. I've competed with a cranked 100 watt tube head through a 4x12 and been fine with a LMII and an Orange BT through a 2x12. I've also had a Yorkville 800 watter through a 4x10 and couldn't hear myself at all.

Part of it is also the EQ. Most guys dig the mid scoop and it sounds great on it's own but I find it next to impossible to hear in a mix. Try upping the mids a little on whatever you're using and you may find you're OK. You may also be able to get away with less watts through more speakers.

18. Hi.

Why would You want to play over Your bandmates?

If it's an ego boost You're after, two or three SVT tube stacks might get You there.

Regards
    Sam

19. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

I was wondering if anyone else caught that...

+1 (though 4kW is probably enough). :smug:

Reid

20. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    For real, a slap in the face of the loud playing gui****s should be sufficient. Slap with the body of your bass if necessary. Multiple times. Outpowering each other is plain stupid and the most common amateur mistake, no matter what genre you play. No, playing at 130dB won't make you cool or heavy. It only makes you selfish douche and eventually, deaf.

Bad idea? 4 kilowatts then, seems like fairly enough. If your tone cn be measured in Richter scale, you're good to go. gui****s can shake a few windows but how cool is an earthquake?