Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spidey255, Jul 12, 2002.

1. spidey255

spidey255

Apr 25, 2002
    how many watts in my amp would i need to overcome a drumset?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It really depends on the drummer/band environment and style of music. It's also depends on your cab's efficiency.

As a rule of thumb: You can get by on 200+ W, but get as much as you can get for headroom.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    a million! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha but only if you tune down to Q hahahahahahaha... i'm sorry i'm just in a good mood. i would shop around look at lots of used stuff and just go as high as you can. also make sure it sounds good and isn't just loud. you can usually find good deals on heads on ebay, oyure better off staying losacl on the cabinet b/c shipping can get nasty. name a price range and a style for more info.....

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I only need 100 to be heard over my drummer... we're pretty loud too. Are you talking about a gig or practice setting?

5. spidey255

spidey255

Apr 25, 2002
  6. I've got a 100 watt 1x15 amp and I can be heard over our drummer. He plays REALLY loud for some songs and then I do have to turn up pretty loud (around 7 or 8 of 10) not leaving much headroom. For gigs I usually mic my amp or run it through the PA.

The type of speaker probably makes a difference. Like, if it was a 2x10 maybe it would cut through the mix better. Maybe someone else can embellish..?

7. Do you have a loud guitarist(s)? If you do then i say go for 200+ just to be safe. Bit if it's just a drummer then i think you will be safe with 100+. Whatever you need remember having too much headroom doesn't hurt. (I don't think)

8. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I got a 350W head with 2 15 inch woofers and 10 inch aluminum tweeters, I don't have a problem.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're going to need 300 watts minumum. 600 is better. I'm serious boy, so wise up.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    HEY! I tune Qb. I find that highly offensive.

:D

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    man these treads always piss me off.
    every time i go to a show everyone has to be as loud as possible and then it sounds like crap!
    i had a 200 watt hartke head. loud enough to be heard in band. then i bought a trace eliot 100 watt commando head. 100 watts at 8 ohms.
    louder than my hartke at 4 ohms and at 200 watts.
    watts don't make it loud as i understand it. it has to do with something else.
    also the warwick 150 watt combos are mega loud to for the size and price.
    and on ebay search warwick amp.
    on 150 watt and one 250 watt.
    sold by the makers of the amps.
    CHEAP!!!! check them out!!!
    and o i play through a 410.

steve

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Watts are for headroom, not (primarily) volume.

13. For wattage, my personal rule of thumb is 10x the wattage of the guitar player. I run subwoofers, so I go 30x the guitar player's wattage. I run two 1x15 subs and two 1x10 highs, bi-amped with a QSC PLX 3002. The subs are a 4-ohm load in the left channel, and receive about 900 watts maximum.

I can keep up with my guitar player's 60 watt DeVille with my rig.

:D

Granted, my rig is very inefficient, and a cab such as an Eden D410XLT would be far louder, with less wattage.

The real number is SPL. With 100 watts, guitar players can make SPL that will destroy the reproductive systems of small children. The bass player has to make the equivalent SPL to keep up.

The spread sheet in my signature has an SPL calculator. You will need to know the efficiency of the guitar amp in SPL (x dB at 1 watt), then plug it into the spreadsheet. If he has 100 watts, read the SPL at a given distance. Change the spread sheet input value to the SPL of your bass cabinet, and see how many watts you need.

More than likely, you will need multiple cabinets to generate a lot of SPL. A bass cabinet will only generate a specific amount of SPL. If you cannot get high enough with a single cab, you have to add more cabinets.