Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many ways can you play harmonics?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by yomchi247, Sep 8, 2004.

1. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    just wondering what techniques everyone has to play harmonics, and possibly some descriptions :bassist:

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Not in the basses forum, that's for darn sure!

I can slide doublestop natural harmonics, bend harmonics, slide (single note) harmonics that I play solely with my right hand, artificial harmonics, and tapped (which I can also slide). I'm sure there are more, but that's my harmonic-vocabulary for now.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Off to Technique with ye!

4. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Excuse my posible stupidity, but when I try to play harmonics, I just get something like a dead sound.... What can be wrong here?

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

get your finger directly over the fret(lightly press on it, dont press all the way, you dont want it touching the fretboard/frets) use the 4th, 5th, 7th,9th,12th frets as those are the main harmonic places.

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Isn't 3 a main harmonic too?
    And you can write some interesting things with harmonics (ala Amazing Grace and most other Victor Wooten stuff) also Billy Sheehan has cool harmonic riffs in his solos.

7. bassmcgee

bassmcgee

Sep 8, 2004
    Didnt realize there are many techniques. Learning Portrait of Tracy by Jaco, and you should too! Excellent harmonics song, and a good combination of full notes and harmonics.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What is a doublestop harmonic?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Two harmonics at once. A doublestop is just two notes at once, but "doublestop harmonics" just refers to having both notes as harmonics.

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oh. Ok, thank you.