Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many/what bands are you involved in?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nickis thebest, Mar 22, 2001.

1. none yet

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. just one

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. two

18 vote(s)
    27.7%
  4. 3-4

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  5. 5-6

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  6. 7+

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. i play my bass in 5 different bands:
    a punk band ive been ever since i started playing and am about to record a demo for
    a christian rock band with a bunch of other high school kids
    a sex pistols/the exploited cover band (brand new)
    my church's praise band
    my high school jazz band

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My church's praise band.
    An oldies band.
    An originals hard rock/metal band.
    An originals rock band.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Two.

A party band (pop covers)
    Original band. Mix of alternative and jazz. You figure that out. :)

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Just one,a modern rock cover band.For a month I was sitting in on drums for a southern rock band while they were trying to find a new drummer.

5. -school orchestra
    -school's jazz band
    -church's youth band
    -emo/punk band
    -i MIGHT make honor band

6. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    You might want to consider the intergrity of your faith before covering a band like the exploited. :rolleyes:

7. I'd love to be involved in one but unfortunately the only other guy I know who plays an instrument also plays bass....could be an interesting sound! We both want to start one but that means one of us has to give in and learn....guitar!
    Actually in a weirdly ironic twist he could end up drummer and I could end up guitarist. Then all we'd need is a bassist...

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Currently in three bands
    A Led Zep tribute band
    My original pscycobilly band
    and a pop top 40 band with my wife I'm a pretty busy player oh yeah I sub for a ten piece R&B band with a horn section once in a while also, now that is a blast.

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    One thing I've noticed is that a lot of US and Canada based posters tend to play in a church band and/or some sort of school group, which are things I never really had the chance to partake in. I could go on about the comparative cultural differences between the US and the UK, but I'll just give my one band, The Shine, a blatant plug instead - come and see us at the Zanzibar in May! :D

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You guys must move your gear A LOT!!!

I only have two but the work pays the bills. I didn't respond to the thread about what everyone's gig pay is because our rave band makes stupid money! (Thought there might be some resentment or that people would think I was BS'ing).

If you consider studio time doing commercials/TV show intro's and outro's, then I'm involved in a lot of "bands." But those are only together for several hours, plus, the only gear I have to lug around is a bass or two.

I respect you guys in big bands and orchestras because you have to really know how your instrument functions within the music and what NOT to play.

11. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Two

1)The Flyovers....Original Blues Rock in the vein of good old UK bands like Dr Feelgood, Nine Below Zero...etc

http://www.theflyovers.co.uk/

2)Derringer....New Country. Lotsa country covers playing in line dance clubs, click the link and follow on to the gallery to see what a fat bastard I am!!

http://www.derringer.org.uk/

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you're paying the bills by playing, stupid money would certainly come in handy;)

I think I'm making stupid money on my non-music dayjob. Doing "okay" with the music thing, too.

13. yeah we actually just play a few exploited songs because the sex pistols dont really have a whole lot of material, and we stick to songs about anarchy and stuff like that, none of the sacreligous songs (im really even sure if i believe in god but i guess all the christian stuff i do will help me musically)

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

\

Brad - I'll tell you what -- if I could find a gig posting that offered, "profit sharing, IRA plan, two weeks paid vacation, stock option, vesting," like your non-music dayjob probably does, I'd take it.

If they offered, "artistic freedom," too, I'd take minimum wage, wear a corn dog counterperson uniform, and play a holoflash Rogue SX-100...or did Gwaar beat me to it? ;)

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well...it´s kinda hard to say...I´m playing Bohemian Rhapsody with a choir and I´m gonna record 2 songs with a band, but I´m kinda in 2 more, but we can´t play right now because we live in different cities...

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Orchestra [school]
    Jazz Band [school]
    Pit Band/Pow Wow band [school] pow wow is our big show thing
    An unnamed band-2 guitarists a drummer & me, i call us Big Gorillas in Khakis but the others don't like it. thats all

17. only 1... Remus

we´ll probably go in studio after 2 weeks.... that´ll be fun...

and there´same here as yawnsie said... I can´t play with a orchestra or something like that....

18. I'm in just one band: Element of Life.

just me and a couple of friends. I should start more projects. I need more experience!!

19. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    At any given point in time I am in 5-6 bands

- High School Wind Ensemble (no strings at school exept for me, but I enjoy, got to play Carnegie Hall when I was 16)

- Funk/Jazz/Fusion (cool setup, some really good players)

- Original hard rock/weird **** we create band (I like)

- High School Jazz Band

- Country getup with my guitar player (I hate country, but it helps cause he likes to goof off)

- Any honors band that is going at the time (All district, All state, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greensboro, Western Carolina, Winthrop...)

20. Main gig: latin band.
    Also: country band,
    jazz band,
    freelance in rock, jazz and Irish bands.