1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many wraps around each post?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joeman583, May 12, 2011.

1. joeman583

joeman583

Apr 8, 2006
    Hello everyone,

When restringing your bass or basses, how many wraps should there be around each post? I know the lengths of various string brands differ slightly but I was just wondering what anyone's thoughts on this were. I have heard players say you should have at least two or three wraps around the post while others have said to put the entire string on without cutting any of the tapered end off at all.

What does anyone think?

Thank you :)

2. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Three is about right. The whole string . . . no. I learned to go four fingers wide (perhaps 3 1/2 inches) past the tuning post, bend the string 90 degrees, and cut it off about 1/2" or 1" beyond the bend.

3. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I do it so there's about 2.5-3 wraps around the post. How long I measure past the post depends on the bass.

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Yup, I aim for 3 as well. 2 is fine if you come up a little short.

5. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    That is my method. So +1.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I use as many as necessary to get a good break angle on the string. On my thicker strings, the number sits around 2. On my high C and F strings, I just wrap the whole string around, which can be 5-10 wraps.

7. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    2-3 windings or 2 inches past post works for me.

8. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    3 windings, 3 inches past the post for me. You want enough to put downward tension on the strings. This helps them stay in tune.

9. I just cut it off at about two tuning posts past the one it's supposed to go on. Worst case scenario, you'll cut it a smidge long on E and A and have to go back and trim a bit more off. It works well for me though, and restrings are a part of my job.

10. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    The smaller the diameter of the string, the more wraps
    are necessary.

Guitar strings go from four five on the low E to more than
    ten on the high E.

Bass should have about 3 on the G string and 2 on the E
    string.

This varies some as does shaft diameter.

As Medford Bassman said " You want enough to put downward
    tension on the strings ".

Tabdog

11. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    As many as it takes to resell them later in accesories ;)

12. Depends on the tuner and depends on the strings!

With old school tuners that arent tapered it can be useful to wound as much as you need to reach the bottom of the tuner so you get a good break angle! Especially so on the E and A strings on a fender bass since those strings lack a string tree!

My 66 Jazz has 5 on the E, 4 on the A and 3 on D and G, i don think i even cut those strings!

On a bass with tapered tuners i usually go with 2 for the E and A, 3 on the D and 3 or 4 on the G depending on string length and depending if its a 2+2 or a 4 in line...

13. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Unless the string starts to wind back over itself you can't have too many turns around the post

14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    This... IMHO

15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Well, that's not always true. The more excess string you have wrapped around the tuning machine post, the more material you have that can cause tuning instability. Now for most basses and bassists that's not an issue. But if you detune and retune frequently (for example, using a HipShot, dropping one or more strings for specific songs and returning them for others, or having a tremelo) then you want only enough to get a good break-over at the nut and enough to hold them securely on the tuning post.

John

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

That's what I do. Never had a string slip or experience tuning stability problems doing it that way.

17. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    I don't agree. The strings stay in tune better the fewer wraps you have around the post. Especially if you have the wraps bunching up over each other, it takes forever for the tuning to settle completely down if it ever does.

I try for a maximum of 2, personally (tho my string cutting skills are still not very accurate ;), and I often end up with more than that). If it's more than 3, I'll undo it and cut off more string...

LS

18. chaseman

chaseman

Feb 28, 2011
    Weymouth, UK
    I'm obviously doing it wrong. I just wrap until there's no metal left to wrap around the post, unwind one turn and push it down the groove in the middle :bag:

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I wind the whole string around the post, usually.
    That way I secute as much of a breakangle as possible, rather than having a few rounds only and the string sliding up the post.
    I have never had any tuning issues doing it this way.