1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how many "XYZ" tribute bands are in your area?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, Oct 14, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    In my area the market is pretty much saturated with Grateful Dead tribute bands...I'd say that within a 50 mile radius there are at least a half dozen I can think of that play out on a regular basis.

A friend of mine that manages a local bar says he gets at least one call a month from a new GD cover band that wants to play at his bar and he basically just keeps telling them that he already has 4 on rotation....

Whats it like in your area ? Is there any genre of music that has an overabundance of bands playing it?

2. LA and SoCal seems to be ground zero for tribute bands. Even have a night club Paladinos that only books tribute acts every night a week ( 4 bands a night ). While only a few acts are really top notch ........there does seem to be quite a few all female acts that are gigging a lot. A local guitarist Rick Hunter is making a good living being in 6 to 8 tribute bands at a time. Seems to be too many Led Zeppelin bands and then Black Sabbath tributes IMHO. Plus a lot of tributes to 2nd tier bands such as Janes Addiction or Queens of the Stone Age.

3. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    In NorCal there's several Grateful Dead cover bands. I just quit a band that was practicing several Grateful Dead covers. I'm glad I did because I can't see how their incredibly lame attempt at playing Dead music would get them anywhere out. There were also a few ACDC tributes playing around too.

I like browsing Craigslist for tribute bands. Somebody locally wanted to start a Cactus tribute band! I had to look up Cactus to see what they wanted to pay tribute too.

The only cool cover band I've every seen, well 2 really, is way back in the day a band called Ted Zeppelin used to play around the area, which had members of the Limbomaniacs in it. Ted Nugent and Zeppelin covers. There's a band in Oakland called Bump City that does a tribute to Tower of Power.

4. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Most Dead tribute bands are incredibly lame....Im including the ones I've been in also in that statement....they can usually get the song structures right, but fail at the vocals and the improv/dynamics part of it which is a large part of what the dead were all about.

Probably the one of the best tribute bands in my area is a Talking Heads band that plays out alot...

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    There are a few around, but all different artists.

The Doors
    Pink Floyd
    Weezer
    Sublime
    Metallica
    Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Anthrax
    Black Sabbath
    Billy Joel
    And lots of others...

All of them are pretty successful too

6. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    There's an SF Bay Area Tom Petty tribute band called Petty Theft that's really good and very successful. If done well I think tribute bands are a blast to watch.

7. One of my good friends is in the Nuns of Brixton, a Clash tribute band. They all dress up in habit & sell out almost every place they play.

There's a band that also does a Replacements set that's pretty good. A band called the Shaloms that does Ramones covers & none of them are Jewish. Makes me laugh.

I tried to put together a Nirvana tribute, but the couldn't find a good Kurt.

8. If you could find someone who looks the part, you’d only be looking at a week ,tops, to teach him to play guitar and sing as well as Kurt Cobain ever did. :bag:

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah just go to the mall and find a guy who looks the part. You'll have him up to speed in no time.

10. Didn't see that coming at all...

I think it'd be super fun (and probably difficult) to do a Beastie Boys tribute.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, you just march over there and tell that GD bar owner to quit hiring so many GD tribute bands right this GD minute! And the next GD band that calls is going to get a GD butt whooping! :eek:

(Hey, we're just talking about Grateful Dead, right?) ;)

Aw, come on! It's a Grateful Dead "GD" joke! It's funny!

The OP said it first....... :bawl:

12. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I saw this Aerosmith tribute band that was made up of really old guys who could barely walk! The singer kept pretending to fall.... wait, that was actually Aerosmtih. Never mind.

I did see a Led Zep tribute band not too long ago. The music wasn't bad, but Jimmy and Robert really needed to lay off the tour food and start doing some crunches. They both chose to wear exposed ab clothing of the original band. They shouldn't have.

13. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    STL has two major tribute bands but both are really only around for a few shows a year...and actually most of one of them are in the other band...seems to be a lot of that in STL with the biggest cover bands...

El Monstero is a Pink Floyd tribute band that plays an outdoor show once every summer and then usually around the holidays
    Celebration Day is a Zeppelin tribute that usually plays once a year....both are hugely popular

14. There's a good number of tribute bands here in Central Massachusetts. Allman Brothers, Government Mule, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Skynyrd, Eagles, and others I can't think of right now. I'm in a Tom Petty tribute called Petty Larceny. We're in our second year now, and we've played our share of shows. We've talked about getting some professional management next year, where we're really looking to take off as a tribute band.

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Clever name... :smug:

Also clever... :cool:

MM

16. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    oh heck, NOW I need someone to explain the Grateful Dead TRIBUTE Band thing to me.

17. So I always felt there was a difference between a cover band and a tribute band. A cover band plays the songs, either as faithfully as possible, or with a twist, but otherwise doesn't try to mimic the original band, and usually plays some songs by a few different artists.

A tribute band tries to mimic the original members, if not entirely in appearance, then at least in sound and playing.

Or am I off base here? If a band plays a set entirely of Grateful Dead tunes, but doesn't otherwise mimic the Dead in any particular way, are they still a tribute band, or just a cover band?

Most of the tribute bands I know of here, Central VA, are actually touring acts with a pretty big draw, like Zoso (Zep) and The Machine (Floyd). Locally there are more thematic bands, like Aquanet, that does hair metal, but dresses up in wigs and spandex, uses lots of pyro in the stage show, they are fun to see. And there is a bluegrass band, Love Canon, that plays the hit songs of the 80's as bluegrass songs, and they are excellent. I mean eventually they play a song that's not to your taste, because it is the hits of the 80's, but their arrangements and execution are fantastic. Are those tribute bands? I would not categorize them as tribute bands myself, just wondering what the term has come to mean.

18. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I want to start a different kind of Dead tribute. Dead Boys, Dead Milkmen and Dead Kennedys. I was once in a punk band called Dirty Stinking Hippies so that's kinda close to being in a GD tribute. :bag:

19. back in the late 70's, there was a punk-bluegrass band in eastern PA/NJ area, called the Blue Sparks From Hell... They were alot pof fun, if you didn't mind getting spit on by the mandolin player...

20. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I tend to agree. I think if you want to call yourself a tribute band you have to look and sound the part. That means dressing like the original even if it involves a wig, using the same gear, etc.

You can't be in a Beatles tribute band and play a Fender P bass right handed. You need to play either a Hofner or a Rick AND play it left handed AND sing all of Paul's parts. Otherwise you're playing in a band-specific cover band.

Either one is fine with me as long as you sound good. Just my $.02.