Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many years do you think college is going to take off my life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Seriously. I'm curious. I'm remaining clean drug/alcohol wise, but I sleep for about 5 hours if I'm lucky and it's never consistant (ala 3AM - 8AM vs. 2-7)

I'm overloading with caffene + sugar to stay alive. I feel sick all the time, I know this isn't helping my grades.

I've only been doing this for about 3 and a half years (I'll be more than 4, I suck). And I still suck at photography/art.

Am I going to die in the near future?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Meh I figured...

*writes his will*

I hearby leave my dirty love to Mark Latimour

3. Chew some valarian root and get more excersize.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I want you do to me a favor bryan... hit me as hard as you can.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Alright, here is how I deal with it... give up.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Seven years of college down the drain.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey Matt-
    Not sure how many "years" it will take off your life but it will get much better when it's over. It's hard to live a healthy lifestyle in terms of diet and sleep during college and I think I felt much like you do now when I was in college. Since I've graduated I've started weight lifting once again and eating much better and getting regular sleep. I feel far better than I did back in my UCSD days. Just stick it out and you'll be fine when it's done.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You're going for art or photography? or both? I'm a photographer and I'll tell you that how you do in school will have little bearing on how you do for a living. Friends of mine from college were all over the spectrum, one guy was a fantastic photographer, very artistic, solid technical understanding. 8 years after graduation he was still cooking food at an upscale resturaunt 'cause he couldn't find a niche. Another girl was horrible technically (her funniest quote was "When you start talking f-stops and zones I get all confused." That was senior year BTW) but she had a great design and composition sense to her and she's worked in Boston ever since as an art director. You'll survive the abuse you put your body through for the most part, just watch out for the lifelong habits you may be developing. I went through college the same way, and I still only sleep 5-6 hours a night. I can (and on occasion do) go several days with 2-3 hour nights, but as you get older you will notice that it will effect you more (I've started to develop this full body itch after about 20 hours that can drive you to drink (it makes it ease up some.)

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    People have lived to a ripe old age in worse environments.

Just stay away from the blue pills and you'll be fine.

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Everything you said here relates to me. Except I can't stay clean :(.

Plus it took me 4 years to decide my major in art/graphic arts. I'm gonna be stuck here forever, if I even make it. Better late then never I suppose.

11. Maybe it will add years. Or maybe you'll have alzheimers at 30.....

12. Ditch the large amounts of sugar and caffeine, drink more water, excercise more for starters. Diabetes in later life will take years off your life for sure...

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Excercise is good.. Eat properly and relax a bit, eh? Unless you want to start looking like your avatar..

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Boxy Brown gets all the ladies.