How many years (or days!) before your cab died and why!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WhoSeyes, Sep 4, 2010.

1. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Hi everyone!

Going to adquire a couple of used cabs tomorrow (a Peavey 4x10 and a Hughes&Kettner 1x18) that look quite beaten-up but still sound alive.

The fact is that those are my first "real" cabs and would like to know for how many years can I expect to keep them in good condition.

As the title already says: for how many years did you manage to keep your cabs without a serious investment (like replacing speakers), how could they survive or why did they die on you?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you don't know their history and you don't know what you're looking at they may last 40 seconds or 40 years. But really, if they're in decent shape and you don't abuse them they should last years longer assuming they're in decent condition now. Decent meaning what they're like on the inside, cones, parts, etc. Not what they look like from outward appearances although that is a good indicator of how they've been treated over the years.

I'm 38, I've been playing since I was 12. I did blow one crossover in that time due to cranking too much power but have never blown an actual speaker in a bass rig. I did blow a couple tweeters in the PA rig in my younger years, again my own fault/ignorance, no fault of the equipment. Just be sensible and you'll be fine.

3. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Thanks!

I will take care of them for sure, hehe.

Justwanted to know whats the common lifespan of well treated cabs. Feel free to share your stories!

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There are plenty of guys with equipment from the 60's and 70's that are still using it to this day. There are also people who can't seem to touch anything without breaking it. Most of us are somewhere in between. I have a National lapsteel built in 1949 that performs flawlessly. Not a scratchy pot or anything and yes, it is all original except for the strings.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You could fill a 16' van with the stuff I've owned since '75, and like Will, I've never blown out anything. Pay attention, use your brains, don't ask your kit to do something it wasn't designed to do, and above all, NEVER loan out anything or leave something in a place where it's out of your supervision or let someone play through your kit even when it IS under your supervision.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Some of the best advice anyone could give. Make that stuff your own and know what everything on it is and the story of how it got there. Especially the flaws....they're cute and personal.:)

I do have a couple trusted friends who are the only one's I have no regrets and would freely "loan out" equipment to for a gig. That's like 2......in 25 years. Especially don't leave it in a place where someone could come thrash on it when you're not there.

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I've been playing since 1969, have had dozens of rigs of all sizes, and never "blew up" or killed a cab ever. I did pop the aluminum dust cap off of a JBL D140 that was in a TL606 type 1x15 cab one time years ago. I'm pretty sure it was just the adhesive wearing out and the result was just a cosmetic thing and did not effect its playability at all.

As some have already said; be smart, get the best stuff you can afford, take care of it, don't force your gear to do things it was not designed to do (i.e. too much power into too few drivers ... etc.) and you should be just fine.

have fun and enjoy!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021