Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dano, Jul 26, 2000.

1. dano

dano

Jul 21, 2000
    How many bass players do you think there are right at this moment? This also counts new players such as myself.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why, Dano, are you having a hard time getting a gig? [​IMG]

Seriously, all you need to know is there are about seven guitarists for every bass player.

By the way, this is more of a "Miscellaneous" forum question...

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    The new site that the board will be moving to in August actually has a counter. It says that there's 8006 registered members.

Chris A. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I have all my own teeth!"--Jenn Scott Poulin

4. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dano:
    How many bass players do you think there are right at this moment? This also counts new players such as myself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

134,988, worldwide, of course.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jazzbassman:
    134,988, worldwide, of course.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually there are 134,989.

Frog

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually there is a very simple formula for figuring this number at any given time (if ya ain't much on cypherin', ask the shoolmarm...if it'll help I'll type slow):

-Take the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin;

-divide by 7;

-divide by the number of wankers in the guitar section at the nearest GC at 4:30 EST on the date in question.

There you have it! This number is accurate to within .0003425% plus or minus.

It's a fact.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Alot. I talked to this guy @ a Guitar Works he said that there will always be ajob for bass players since alot of people tend to play guitar instead.finding that job however is the hard part

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wait, theres a lot, because nobody plays it, leaving tons of jobs, which are hard to find? Ummm....what?

9. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    I...think he was saying...that....there's a bunch of jobs open cuz there are more guitarists than bassist, but you have to like, put effort into it to get a job?

Whoa, did i just attempt to make sense?

:confused:

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, you did, but he didnt! No, i understood what he was TRYING to say, but i was hoping it would hint to him to be a little more clear in posting. Whee! Sheep!

11. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    All I know is.....that there will ALWAYS be a LOT more better than me....:)

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There's another perspective to the absolute proportion of bass players to guitarists. That is, some bands have two guitars or even more. Few bands have two bassists. Some bands don't even have a bassist, especially if the keybords are playing the bass part. So while there are more guitarists, there are more openings for guitarists in bands, plus some guitarists claim to double on the bass. So if a band needs a bassist, sometimes they just recruit one of their guitarists, as risky as that proposition might be.

One last thought here. How does one determine the number of bass players and guitar players? Is it based on the number of guitars sold as opposed to the number of basses sold? Is it based on some registry of bass players? Is it based on bass players who attend music school or bass classes or books on bass guitar instruction sold? It would seem to me like the proportion of bass players to guitar players would have to be a guess. Jason Oldsted