Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much and when do you use middle finger pops?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Earthday, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I've seen some people strictly alternate between index and middle, some completely ignore the middle, some only use the middle when they need 2 pops in a row.

When do you use it?

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I usually only use the middle finger to pop when i need two pops inna row or when i'm plucking flat 5's or 7's.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I usually alternate, but my middle takes a dominant role on a higher string and my index on a lower one, so if I'm doing single, spaced out pops on the D and G strings for example, my middle handles the G.

4. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    First,the 2 fingers don't sound the same. I find the index sounds thin while the middle sounds more meaty.
    Second, because of the shape of the 2 fingers, I also find the middle to sound more slick and precise especially at slow tempos and popping the D string.
    The index sounds good at very fast speed.

I think it is important to practice exercices with both fingers.

Hope this will help,
    SB

5. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    I usualy only use my middle when I pop, mainly because I got a slight case of egzima on my index. but when I start to go fast, and start double poppin', thats the only time I'll use my index.

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I use my index for normal one note pops, but if im doing a victor wooten triplet thing with.. slap-pop-pop i'd use my middle finger for the secondary pop..

7. I use the middle almost as much as my index. Depends what I'm playing usually. If I'm just messing around/improvising, I tend to use it quite a bit.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I strictly use my middle finger for popping the G string and the index for the D. In the extremely unlikely instances in which I have to pop the A string, (like on Stu Hamm's "Count Zero" intro) I do it with my index finger.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Generally only if i have 2 quick pops in a row without a muted slap inbetween. (otherwise i usually just do Pop x Pop very quickly with one finger).

10. i use both a lot, with the index seeing slightly more action. sometimes, especially if i haven't been slapping in a while, or if i just play a ton of bass for a long while straight, ill start to develop a mini-blister on my index, so i'll use my middle more.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll use my middle if I'm doing double pops or popping double-stops. otherwise it's all index.

12. Being a pick player, it helps to use it when other musicians tell me that's not the right way to play the bass.... :eek: :eek:
    :D