Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much BASS can an Ampeg Classic 410 give out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Mar 4, 2004.

1. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    Alright I know posts like these can be really annoying but after failing to find anything in the databass I thought I'd pose a direct question.

How much low end do Ampeg Classic 410s give out?
    Are these Cabs low quality?
    I've never owned an ampeg classic cab so I really don't know anything other then low volume tests at GC.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have 2 SVT410HLF's (classic series)

They have all the low end that I would ever want or need. My low B string sounds great through them, without sounding too "boomy".

As far as them being low quality, no way. They ONLY complaint I have about them is that the tolex covering isn't all that durable, but that doesn't affect their function at all. I have gigged with mine weekend after weekend, used em for practices, and they have not let me down once.

Oh, by the way, I power em with an SVT4 Pro head. For smaller clubs/stages, I mono bridge it into just one of them (I have been doing this more and more lately, getting tired of lugging two cabs around all the time).

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    SVT-HLF=Great,SVT-HE=Forget a low B,won't push it. -Luke

4. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i got two of 'em. i hate the horn, but i hate horns regardless of the cab. they sound good i think. i don't plan on ever replacing them b/c i'm too cheap when it comes to music gear. but i've never had any problems with the tone from the cabs. always bass and mids and treble to be had pretty easily. mine are older cabs rated a 100w higher than the current ones. i don't know about the low B thing either, i don't think one would handle it but 2 probably would, or 1 4x10 and a 1x15. but i don't know. i'm a die hard 4stringer. so for me and my fenders they work great.

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have the 410 HLF. I also use a Bergantino 210/115 stack. While the Bergs are my favorite sounding speakers, tight crisp, articulate, etc the Ampeg makes them sound kind of small. The tone is big, fat, and deep sounding with lots of lows and mids. I know this is an apples and oranges comparison but I like the 410 HLF almost as much as my Bergs. I dont think the tweeters are bad at all either. The quality isnt the best but I think its a very durable cab. The major problem is the tolex ripping and the mesh grill isnt protecting the speakers from anything.

6. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    Thanks guys I'm going to risk rocking a return policy and taking one home. Over and out.

- Pete

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    The SVT-410HE has NO LOW END. None. It's just not there.

8. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Totally agree with the HE not having ANY low end. Just picked myself up a 5-string, and the B string sounds like crap on it. Now i have to go exchange my 410HE or get a 15.

9. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    what about low end similar to the 810 for a 4 sting guy

What's the difference between two ampeg 410s and the ampeg 810

10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I've been using the 410HLF at our rehearsal studio and liked the tone, it's big thick and dark. But it didn't have enough bottom for me.

It died tonight. No sound at all, so maybe a broken wiring harness or something. The guy working at the studio said "you know, this thing breaks down more than the Edens". Lucky for me they had a "working this week" Eden in another room that wasn't being used so we could finish rehearsal. Glad it wasn't mine.