1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much better is a $900 MIM Fender than a $600 one? Trying to decide between Mustang or Deluxe PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean775, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    So I have two basses, a MIM Jazz and MIM Precision. I bought the P Bass a month or so ago, and had the J bass for like 3 years. I've always had minor complaints about my Jazz even though it has been professionally set up, but I always just dealt with them.
    Since I've bought my P Bass, that's all I've been playing; I can't believe how much more I like it than the Jazz.
    Since my P is now my primary bass, I want to have a second bass with a little more tonal versatility. Im thinking of selling the Jazz and buying a bass with a PJ setup. I'm trying to decide between the Mustang and Deluxe. I've never played a Mustang before and I know they are a little smaller, but I happen to be thin and have smaller hands and fingers than most men, so I figured that part wouldn't be an issue.
    If anyone has advice or recommendations, I'd appreciate the help.

2. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Hard to beat having both a P and a J.
    Mustang is a novelty bass IMHO.
    but for tonal variation you might consider a Hofner Club bass.

fermata likes this.
  3. Sean775

Sean775 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Maybe I should bring my Jazz Bass to a different technician then and explain my concerns about it. My P Bass has a much lower feeling action, even though the saddles of my Jazz Bass are closer to touching the bridge than the Precision