1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much can a Fearful 15/6 take?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Journey55, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Hello all, I just got a Peavey Mace Head that pushes 160 watts (tube) and I was wondering if my 15/6 is good to use with it without fear (ha...) of it blowing...thanks!

2. I use a 400 watt all tube head. Havnt damaged any of the fEARful cabs I have uses with it.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I once put 1500w into my 15/6. It was a "scary" experience. :cool:

4. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    With that amp, pretty much impossible to thermally break the thing, and from my limited experience with them, you'd have to really work at mechanically breaking it.

5. Well that put my worries to rest, thanks guys! Anyone happen to know what the maximum wattage would be then?

6. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I wouldn't be afraid of running 750 watts at 8 ohms. I actually run 1,000 into mine...never dime the amp, but I've not heard or experienced any problems so far :)

7. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    My understanding is that +/-750w is the excursion limit

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Sounds like a great cab.

9. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    It's ok :)

10. Sharknose79

Sharknose79 UNPAID greenboy/fEARful endorser Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2011
    South Cackalacky
    I have nothing to disclose at this time.
    Meh.
    It does OK.

....until you put a 15sub undermeath.

.................. 20ff8898.

c560bcd5.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    One of these days I gotta take a pic of my 12/6 + 12sub like that.

Love it.

12. So to recap. How much power can a 15/6 take? A lot.

13. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Mine did not really manage the full output of one channel of a QSC PLX 3602 with an active cross over at 400Hz. That is about 750W into the 8 Ohm 3015LF. At that point it was "farting out" at the peaks. (With a four string Precision.)
    The passive cross over will absorb some power so that will reduce the excursion for a given amplifier power.

14. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Interesting! greenboy puts them at about 750watts at 8ohms, which sounds reasonable to me :)

15. I wonder if you were hearing the limitations of something else in your signal chain? I have hit my cabs with a TON of power and have never heard them fart out.

16. Dumb question: where can I buy fearfuls? (or bfm cabs?) I'm not going to make them myself, would like to buy from one of the licensed builders - but how do I find a good one?

17. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    There are 6 Authorized builders in the US...here's a list.

http://www.greenboy.us/

18. Yep those are the guys you go to for a fEARful, fEARless, or one of greenboy's other designs. As far as finding a "good one" right now Mark, Don, Paul, Dave, Josheph, Leland, and Mike are doing great work. They all do something a little different, but its all based on a no compromise standpoint to greenboy's design. You need to determine what options you want, and go with the builder that works best for you.

For me I went with Dave Homer at Gigmaster. He is local, and I am all about supporting that. He also turns out a fabulous, rock solid cab, on a very short lead time. I got two cabs out of his shop in about 4 weeks. If I was closer to one of the other builders I might have gone with one of them though. Some build with different materials for weight savings, some do wacky cosmetic treatments.

The real question is: What do you want out of the cab?

19. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Some do wacky? Sounds like a Bo Diddley song :)

20. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    And how much power can the 12/6 or Bassic 12 take? I'm thinking a 4 ohm Bassic 12 may fit my needs.