Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much can I expect to make per gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Sup. I was wondering, what does the AVERAGE gig pay?

$20? $40? Just trying to get an idea here.

And yes, I know it differs from club to club.

Thanks. :)

2. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    not nearly enough

3. *Frickin' frackin'..*

Look just throw some numbers at me ok?

I knew I couldn't get away with ONE thread without ONE generalized statement. :mad:

:D

4. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    :D sorry. any around where i live don't pay at all, if i would look closer to the city, around 40 a gig(considering my age and experience though......)

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    If you play at the birthday parties of your bandmate's little sisters you'll be making ZILCH, ZERO, SQUAT! It happened to me, I didn't recieve my 20 bucks because supposedly I'm mean, ugly, and didnt play the 2 hours she demanded. (The party started real late and we only got 30 minutes of play before the DJ came.)

BTW, this is completely off-topic, but Garrett, can you please shorten your sig? Its nothing near as bad as Tabcrawler's no-limit length but I would really appreciate it if you shortened your sig.

6. I was going to today...couldn't think of anything to say.

7. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    200+ per night, no bull. I love being an American in Japan!

8. About -15 dollars, when you factor in pizza, mileage, and beer.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is no average gig - you have to take account of where you are playing, what sort of band, experience, "name" in the area, etc etc.

My band are playing a gig on Saturday night which is paying us the equivalent of $1200 - but that wont help you......

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    We usually get around 500 to 600 dollars per gig. We are a six piece band and we divide the money 7 ways with the seventh being the band fund, which pays for studio time once a year for a new demo. So looks like around 70 to 80 bucks per gig minus strings and a couple of beers and maybe something to eat. I wind up adout 40 bucks in the plus column.

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think a big question you need to ask is what are you doing?

If you are doing covers and such, you can pull over a grand with a wedding gig, and at least 350-400 at clubs of restaruants.

If you are doing originals, then don't expect much at all, unless you have a big fan base. In building up bands, often I have gone several months before getting anything at the shows to divide. However, this was also due to the fact that I strictly wanted to play at places that were good for original music, so I didn't mind the pay stint.

Also, in a couple of bands, we split the pay down the middle, with half going to the players, and half going into band needs. Once again, this was for original projects...

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    As stated before, there is no average gig. A common rate here, for unknown but decent amateur bands like ours, when playing small venues like weddings, small dance retaurants etc, is the equivalent of "$100 per band member + $100 for our PA", net. Sometimes we get transport costs covered as well, and most of the time we get food and drink included if a meal is served to the guests. That is for smaller cities, in Stockholm the going rate is 0, too many better known bands there, so you play for recognition and fun. Smaller private parties would pay less, company parties/conferences perhaps double.

But this info is probably useless to you, your negotition and musical skills probable set the level.

13. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    We normally get 200 to 400 hundred per show, plus free tap beer for the band.
    We never split the money, it just goes into the band fund to pay for P.A. and light rentals and other misc. band debts.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Small bars around here seem to offer $250 / 3 hour show of cover material. The mediums are around double that. I haven't played any larger clubs.

I have not seen any places around here that would pay an unknown to play original material.

15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Like Anders, we typically get $100/man, takehome. Sometimes food and booze are included, sometimes not.

DD

16. I'm assuming it's the same for most of you, but it depends on how many people come through the door and how much beer gets bought by the crowd.

The band will usually take a percentage if enough money is made by the club.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Iamarjones quote:

"I think a big question you need to ask is what are you doing?

If you are doing covers and such, you can pull over a grand with a wedding gig, and at least 350-400 at clubs of restaruants.

If you are doing originals, then don't expect much at all, unless you have a big fan base. In building up bands, often I have gone several months before getting anything at the shows to divide. However, this was also due to the fact that I strictly wanted to play at places that were good for original music, so I didn't mind the pay stint. "

This is about right. You're worth what you can negotiate.

It helps if you and the band have a following.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Six bucks (per member).

19. You get paid for this stuff? :) My bandmates have been lyin' to me! hehe

20. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    My band is headlining tonight and we hope to bring in $500 or so. Our last gig a few weeks ago pulled in a whopping $45. We're also playing tomorrow night in Portland, supporting some bands there, not sure what we'll make. Hopefully enough to pay for gas....