Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much can i get away with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ed111584, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ed111584

ed111584

Jan 11, 2005
    i know this isn't a question most people like to ask, but i'm on a very limited budget. i play at a small church (100 people max) in a room half as big as a basketball court. we've got a not so hot PA system, and only 1 or 2 acoustics, possible keys, and sometimes an electric for color. i've been playing my bass thru the PA, but that's not doing so hot. how big of an amp would i need?

2. I play in that EXACT situation.

My GK-400 RB coupled with my BTB excels here. More than ample headroom.

What kinda budget you got in mind for this amp?

3. You'll get varied responses to this question. The most popular response will actually be a question: do you want a combo or head/cab set up? You'll need to clarify what you are looking for a little more specifically. Tied with first will be: What is your exact budget? The second most popular will be to use the search function. There are countless discussions of how much is needed for different situations.

That stated... Others will tell you to buy as much as you can afford. You may not need the power now, but it'll save you money in the future. (this will inevitably lead you to the quandry: cheap/more powerful amp vs. name brand/less powerful...another thread and a couple of fistfights later about behringer, and you'll realize you need to settle on tone).

Finally, some will give exact wattage (followed by formulas as to how much is needed to make an appreciable difference to the human ear). I'd go ~300 watts. Maybe more than you need, but can be had in the same price neighborhood (for the most part) as smaller amps.

I hope this helps a little...

Mike

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for that small of a place you have a lot of options. besides, even the most hyper churches arent going to want the volume that a rock band would in a similar space. i'd look around for used combos in the 150 watt range. the peavey tnt with the 15" speaker is usually an excellent value. For a long time i played in a church that had these old 1x15+tweeter pa speakers they werent using. one had a blown crossover and a blown woofer. i got a carvin 15" replacement speaker and used my head with it and just left the cab at church. Didnt sound half bad.