How much compression?

Discussion in 'Ask Rufus Philpot' started by bass nazi, Mar 19, 2006.

1. bass nazi

bass nazi

Dec 3, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    Hey guys,
    I am wondering how much compression I should be unsing on my rig?
    I have a Behringer Compressor Pro MDX2200 and play classic rock bass.
    I bought the compressor mainly to clean up my playing sounds.
    Most of what I have been reading says a 4:1 ratio setting should be used, and a 25ms attack and .05 release setting.
    Are these correct?
    Also, should I be setting my EQ on my amp at anything in particular to work properly with these settings?

My Composer Pro also has an expander/gate section as well. Does this option do anything for me?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The general rule of thumb is that if you can hear it working, you have too much. 4:1 ratio is a bit high for my tastes, though I have used it on gigs where I do a lot of harmonics. I like a quick attack and semi-long release, but not so long where it adds to the sustain. The most important thing you left out is the threshold, which I like to set at -10 db, which is just a little bit over the point where the volume extremes come into play. Mind you, though, these are all personal settings that I prefer, and others have different settings that they like.

As fas as EQ, if you need to change your EQ because of your compressor, it's either too much compression or it's a crappy compressor.
  3. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Too - remember bassists back in the day never had compressors except in the recording studio - so it really IMO be used to set thresholds and control in recording but live I mostly do not think you need it 905 of the time - and yes if you hear it it is toomuch I concur. use it for tech reasons but not to 'clean up your playing"
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You could probably post this in the Effects forum and get some good answers, possibly even related to that particular piece of gear.

I would just experiment with the settings and find out what gives you the effect you want. It's cool that you got one with attack and release options.