Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much compression?

Discussion in 'Ask Rufus Philpot' started by bass nazi, Mar 19, 2006.

1. bass nazi

bass nazi

Dec 3, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    Hey guys,
    I am wondering how much compression I should be unsing on my rig?
    I have a Behringer Compressor Pro MDX2200 and play classic rock bass.
    I bought the compressor mainly to clean up my playing sounds.
    Most of what I have been reading says a 4:1 ratio setting should be used, and a 25ms attack and .05 release setting.
    Are these correct?
    Also, should I be setting my EQ on my amp at anything in particular to work properly with these settings?

My Composer Pro also has an expander/gate section as well. Does this option do anything for me?

Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The general rule of thumb is that if you can hear it working, you have too much. 4:1 ratio is a bit high for my tastes, though I have used it on gigs where I do a lot of harmonics. I like a quick attack and semi-long release, but not so long where it adds to the sustain. The most important thing you left out is the threshold, which I like to set at -10 db, which is just a little bit over the point where the volume extremes come into play. Mind you, though, these are all personal settings that I prefer, and others have different settings that they like.

As fas as EQ, if you need to change your EQ because of your compressor, it's either too much compression or it's a crappy compressor.

3. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Too - remember bassists back in the day never had compressors except in the recording studio - so it really IMO be used to set thresholds and control in recording but live I mostly do not think you need it 905 of the time - and yes if you hear it it is toomuch I concur. use it for tech reasons but not to 'clean up your playing"

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You could probably post this in the Effects forum and get some good answers, possibly even related to that particular piece of gear.

I would just experiment with the settings and find out what gives you the effect you want. It's cool that you got one with attack and release options.