1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kyral210, Sep 26, 2008.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I have been tweaking my bass Pod XT today, and found that 60% compression at the end of the chain seems to make everything sound allot fuller. Should I be using this as a universal setting, should I use it at all? What is the best way to use compression?

2. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I'm sure bongo will have some great insight to this, but I would speculate having compression in front of your effects would be more beneficial. That way you are compressing only your bass signal.

If it sounds good at that setting, then keep it universal. If you find that turning on a certain effect sounds weird, you might need to turn off the compression. That's why the pedal compressors are handy.

3. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I think you can move the Bass Pod Xt compressor around your 'virtual' rig. This is the pod compressor, which is serperate from the 'mod' compressor, which I never use (so far)

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Arkansas
    well, compressors can make things sound fuller, so in that regard, it should (or could...) be used at the end... also, effects, that are changed by the dynamic of playing (envelope filters, overdrives...) are usually better before compressors imo, since you can control them more by your playing dynamics... but in the end, it all depends on the gear you're using, what you are trying to achieve and what you personally like...

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 definitely. It always boils down to the specific gear you're using and the specific goal you hope to achieve.

To emphasize that, there is no such thing as 60% compression except within a specific frame of reference like a digital multi that happens to use percentages as an available parameter. Otherwise, you have to ask "what is 60% of what?" Is the input level of every moment/sample reduced by 40% prior to make-up gain? Or is it reduced by 60%? Or is the ratio at 60% of its maximum within that circuit, or the threshold at 60% of its maximum, and what exactly are those maximums anyway? Etc.

Also, whenever applying compression, you have to analyze whether you actually want the dynamic range reduced at that point in the chain.

6. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    What I mean is I turn the compressor dial to 6, so 60%. My gear is a Bass Pod Xt running to the PA. My simulated rig is a SVT Pro going to an 8x10 cab.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whatever sounds best to you is the right setting, though I personally favor a lot less. I actually prefer it to where you can't tell it's on but it's just enough to tame the stray peaks.

8. +1 on what sounds right
    +1 on favoring a lot less

I usually go with out my compressor unless I am overdriving my preamp, heavy on the eq, or slapping. Basically you could say I only use it to prevent clipping my amp.