Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much could I get for my vintage SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Feb 3, 2003.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, what's the going rate for 70's SVTs? I've got an SVT head and cab from the early 70's that I think I might sell. The head is in great shape; I just got it repaired, re-tubed and capped. The cab's exterior has seen better days, but all the speakers work perfectly. The ones that didn't were swapped out for functioning ones from an identical cab. The exterior of the head isn't pristine, but considering it's age, it it looks good.

I saw one guy selling a similar head for $1000. Is this too much? To little? I don't see them on EBay very often. I don't think I could get more than a couple hundred for the cab. I'm going to go around to a few stores and see what they would give me, but I know it wouldn't be as much as I could get selling it privately.

2. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Traded my '74 SVT with cab for around $1300, and the dealer sold it for around $1500. Same story, good condition head, ragged out 8x10. I miss her....
    They sold them seperately, and the cab went first for around $600....yea, thats right, $600. Vintage thing I guess. I think the head went for $800, but I wasn't there for the final deal. Ragged out cab or not, at least try to get $400. Ebay just doesn't like the shipping cost.

3. Absolutely nothing. That's why you should ship it prepaid to:

The Mudbass Home For Useless Bass Heads
    PO Box 1224
    Los Angeles 90210

4. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I just sold my early 70's SVT cab and I have someone that wants to buy the matching head. My cabinet went for $700, but it had been re-tolexed so it looked really nice. The head is listed around $800. I am about to call the shop that has it on consignment and negotiate my bottom dollar amount. Someone wants to buy it lower than my list price. Originally I had the head for $900, but I was thowing in a road case for the head. That case has sold on its own. So, I think somewhere in the $1200-1500 range depending on the condition. I know I will miss my rig. It sounded so DAMN good. I won't miss hauling it all around.

5. Why are you selling it? You'll end up regretting it.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I know, it was more curiosity than anything. What I think I'll end up doing is selling the cab and keeping the head. The 8x10 is ridiculously huge, heavy, and doesn't even fit in my damn car. I went to a few stores around town today, and they offered me some insulting quotes based on how I described it. At one point I was willing to swap the whole rig for a modern combo like a Metro or Redhead, but now I think I'll keep the head and downsize on my cab. I love the tone from the head so much I probably would end up kicking myself. Maybe I'll just throw the cab in the basement for posterity's sake and buy some Avatar cabs. (I'm incredibly poor.)

7. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I sold my SVT head today so it ended up being $700 for the 8x10 and $800 for the head. I am not sure of the exact year of mine, but it is a early 70's. Mine was re-tolxed so it was in great cosmetic shape. I did hate to part with it, but I have way too many amps. I do want to get a ampeg flip-top that is in great shape to fill the tube void that was left with this sale.

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I would keep the 810 around until you are sure you're happy with smaller cabinets. Like you said, stick the 810 in the basement, get some avatars and try them out. Then in the future, if you like the smaller cabs but want to upgrade, sell the 810 and put the money toward something else. If you don't like the smaller cabs, you can sell them and you'll already have the beast waiting for you in the basement.

9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    You're young yet SuperDuck, so I'd keep the behemoth. I used to have a 2x15 when I was younger, and it never bothered me to haul it.

Just this weekend I had the pleasure(?) of moving a vintage SVT rig from the upstairs of a house to the basement. I was going to start a new post titled "SVT Users: Is the sound worth the logistical nightmare?" but I didn't want to offend any SVT purists on this site.

I'd keep it until you approach 30 or so, then downsize to a combo or lightweight head with smaller cabinets.:)

10. My drummer has a 810E that we practice with...and there is no way that I'm taking that thing to a show.

The only problem w/ a different cab is that the SVT head and cab were probably meant to work together. You might not get the tone you want out of something else. Maybe a similar 4x10 that's sealed w/ similar drivers?

11. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Like maybe a SVTHLF 4x10 Classic?

12. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I use my SVT head with either an SVT410HLF or 2 Eden 2X10XLT's. Both are just super sounding rigs. The Eden cabs give me a little more clarity.

13. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I've seen them a over a grand in good shape!!