Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much did it cost to get your bass setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Subject says it all. Been thinking of getting mine set up.

2. Of course it might depend on just what needs to be done but around here in the Atlanta area you can get it done for about $35.

You really should learn how to do it yourself. Not only will you save a few bucks but you'll understand your instrument better. When you want to make a change, you can just do it and not worry about trying to convey your desires to a technician.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

That was the case with me. It cost me $35 bucks that I really didn't have to spend at the time. I really wish I could learn how to do it myself, but I'm too afraid of screwin' something up. Since it's my only bass if I screw somethin' up, I'm just outta luck:(

4. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    There is a great website by Gary Willis devoted to setup, intonation, etc. I saw it in a thread not long ago, but I don't remember the link right off hand. Anyone remember?

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Learn to do it yourself, it's not difficult. Keep notes on a piece of paper at first as to what you changed so you can always go back to square one if need be. If you manage to screw up you can always take it to a tech which is what you were going to be doing anyway. And, don't fix it if it ain't broke. :D

6. 30-50 bucks for an electric bass is the going rate around here, and that's what I charge depending on how much work is involved. Unlike a lot or repair people I am more than happy to show an interested player how to set up their bass, some repair people act like they are guarding the holy grail. Once you know the basics then you can work on refining your own set up.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Na, just means you like the GOODS!!!!!:)

8. I didn't pay a thing. The music store I go to fixes minor problems and such at no charge.

9. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    GaryWillis.com has a really good section on setup.

I agree, learn to do this yourself. You wont ever know what is right unless you do it yourself.
    Its really not hard. It just takes some experimenting.

Having someone else set up your bass is like having someone else go to the eye doctor for you to determine your prescription.

Thats just me. Im pretty anal

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I found a guy in Franklin, OH who will do a setup, including fret dressing and truss rod adjustments for $30, not including new strings. I'm gonna take my baby there in a couple weeks.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My music store does all my setup work on my basses for free. They know exactly how I like it, so I have them do it.

It also helps that I have spent a LOT of money there in the past few years.

Later
    Ryan

12. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    $75, (3) times a year (for each gigging bass) for the full set-up from a top-notch pro. Includes pretty much anything needed...nut work, saddle height, intonation, pup height, neck tweak, truss adjust, fret work, back of neck prep, etc.

I'll do my own set-ups in between.

But those (3) times a year is a very nice break because you find out wacky your own adjustement can be.

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Is that $75 for each bass? if it is, this person is taking your money & your letting him.

14. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Nino-

Yes, that is $75 per bass and it's a bargain.

It's the difference between taking your axe to the "local music hack-shop" or having a full pro do it. Believe me, I'd do it myself before giving to the local shop.

If I do it, it's costing me $200/hr. My tech is fairly recognizable custom builder. The REALLY great thing is that he knows exactly what I want and knows exactly how I play.

The typical amatuer thing to do is say "set-up it up with the lowest action as possible". My tech would roll over laughing at that. Your first time in his shop will be about 30 minutes of you playing in front of him so he can understand how he can help, what you like and what you don't like.

Besides, if you're a pro, it's a business expense!

15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    If this is a pro that you have been going to regularly, you are being overcharged!!! (IMO) I've been playing bass for over 10 years. I'm not some kid that says, WOW $75 is alot. I own alot of high end basses & they are set up EXACTLY the way I like it by me or my guitar tech. I do all the setup's my self. & when I have a problem I can't fix, I bring it to the <b>"local music hack-shop"</b> that I bought my first bass from & he sets it up for free. I still give him something for his troubles. I know what a full setup is. I just beleive you are paying way too much for a set up. I live in Staten Isl NY & there are tons of Luthiers I can bring it to that will charge $75 & up for a set up, but the trust I have in my tech that owns a <b>"local music hack-shop"</b> is far greater than any work you tech can do for you.

If you've been going to this guy for a long time & you feel comfortable paying $75 for each bass once a year, that's OK. My tech has been building & repairing (mostly repairing) instruments for almost 20 yrs & has become my life long friend.

The only difference I see from your posts is that your a pro & gig & record alot more than I do so you see it as a necessity. I gig about 12-15 times a year & rehearse twice a week & haven;t really done any top quality recording. :)

16. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Nino-

I wasn't hacking on you. Sounds like you do your own set-ups.....that's great.

As for $75, how long do you think's it's takes to set-up a bass? If I do my normal adjust, it's lickity split, just a little truss and I'm done. But, when a bass is overhauled, it should take at least 1/2 hour and in many cases, much longer.

So, the $75 is pretty cheap for pro labor of a guy paying 15% SS and his own medical insurance.

If you're getting it for less, you're either getting a hell of a deal (providing they do it right) or getting amatuer to do the job.

I'm not happy spending money on anything. But, IMO $75 isn't a big expense for this type of work.

>>>>>>>>>>
    On side note, a guitarist I played with ALWAYS talks about his stolen Fender Squier. This guy plays $3000 Don Grosh's, but still wishes he had is $200 hack job Squier. Why? Well, he to, was from NY and had Roger do some work on the pups and performed a set=up. To this day, he STILL raves about that set=up and has yet to duplicate it in the past 10 years. I always shook my head laughing. That is, until I found something that matched what I like.......

17. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I do my own AND charge other people $35 to do set ups on their basses. :)

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I still feel that if you're bring your basses to the same guy for a long time & he chaeges you $75 I think you're being over charged. If you're happy paying that amount, more power to you. If I came off as being angry, sorry I didn't mean to. I didn't meant to I was hacking on you because I wasen't I was expressing my opinion.

P.S. I like you equip in your profile. :)