Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much did personal finances determine the number of Children you had?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 2, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How much did Your financial situation way into deciding the number of Children you were going to have?.

2. None, really. There are too many other limiting factors that we never even got to the money aspect before the decision was made.

Mike

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Same as Mike. You can always adjust and will always adjust your lifestyle.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It played a big part. I needed to make sure our child would not be stuck with a Behringer combo. :D

Seriously, it was a point of discussion. We wanted to be comfortable financially, and be sure we would be able to provide our children with their needs.

-Mike

5. None whatsoever.

If human beings only had children they could "afford" financially ( :rollno: :rollno: ) we would have been extinct centuries ago IMHO. :D :D

6. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    You sure do ask a lot of questions, Major. :D

Seriously, none. Bigger factor was the fact that our one and only pretty much turned my wife's "oven parts" into hamburger on the way out. After that, we would have had to find a surrogate oven.

Sometimes you just have to play the hand that's dealt to you. One child is our hand, and it's playing pretty well so far. No regrets.

7. +1000. There's always a way. But I wanted to fulfill my life, and enrich it, not worry about my wallet every turn. And my children's quality of life is not guaged by whether I can keep them in the latest whatever, but how we grow together.

8. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm expecting my third and never thought I could afford the first one. There is no limit to what you will sacrifice for your children, and you won't regret doing it.

The life of a child is an eternal investment. Money comes and goes. In my case it seems to go more than it comes. :eek:

9. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Also if men had to give birth.

10. Similar boat here. We had a complication in the delivery room after #2. The OB-GYN played it cool and I believed every word out of his mouth (you don't want to aggitate a new father, too much adrenaline). Turns out the problem was much more severe than he had let on and we nearly had a big problem. The next one could risk both lives, so I'll settle with he two rugrats I have.

Mike

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I assume the responsability of financially (among others)supporting them. That has influanced my job and career choise.

Wesley R.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Economics were a big consideration for the wife and me. We did not want to raise a child in an apartment, so we waited until we got the house. That pretty much left only time for the one.

13. MAJOR METAL

Very Interesting, thanks for the feedback everyone.

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't have kids yet, but for the moment finances doesn't come into the picture. The number of kids we want is based more on what we want to be fufilled, what would make the children happy and on what we (mainly me :p) could handle. Maybe $$ will play a part in the future (definately we wouldn't have the kid at the moment if we were in dire straits), but for the moment it doesn't matter.

15. No.

Two is enough for me because of time and emotional energy involved.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Do you mean like... "oh god i cant afford a condom lets do it anyways" or "now that we can afford a condom we should do it with out one"

I think people should be paid to use condoms... not other way around simply because... if you can afford a condom you dont need it... if you cant... you really need it...

I am over and out...

17. MAJOR METAL

I ask about the financial aspect of the decsion because as many can see most American Familys are not having those familys of 5 - 10 Children anymore and i wanted to see how much of that is economicaly driven.

18. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Major, I have 4 with my 5th due in September. We haven't really considered finances that much with each successive birth until the 4th was on the way. I just make a modest income, not wealthy or anything, and it's the only income in my household.

The thing to consider is the necessity to upsize the family car(s) and housing. I now own 2 vans, one full size gas hog and one mini van(mine). Current gas prices are a tad painful, $80 to fill up the big van.

We just bought a 2900sq ft. house. I didn't realize just how cramped we were before. That didn't come cheap either.

The expensive part about kids seems to be the first year or two with formula and diapers. Then you get a few years until they start wanting everything they see. I'm only getting there now. We'll see how that goes.

A generation or two ago, it was common to see the larger families do the same with less. 4 kids in one bed anyone?
    6 -8 kids in a room? Have you heard Grandma talk about sharing one full-size bed with 4 or 5 sisters?
    It can be done.

Kids are worth any sacrifice you can make.
    They are about the most entertaining thing I can think of.
    I love the conversations of 2 -3 yr olds, and the discovery and new found "wisdom" of the 4-6 yr old group.

Besides, if you don't have some kids, who's going to fight over your bass collection when you get too feeble to play?

19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    In my case, finances had zip to do with it. You know my sitch. At this point, I can provide for my child, and that's all that matters. He can make his own way once he grows up, become a "self-made man" (read: raging enterpreneur), or a scientist, or a minister, or whatever he wants. But the most important thing is to get him an education. I come from a rather humble background myself, and thanks to the intelligence and personal connections of my mom and dad, was able to get myself scholarships through high school and college. I expect my child to be able to do the same, and meanwhile Nicky can use our money for other purposes. She's smart as a whip, and thoroughly familiar with our educational system, and the importance of "starting early". We have enough money stashed (in cash and goods) to pay for our baby's education through high school or so, and assuming I live that long, we might have a little more for college. But the kid's got to make it on his own, I'm not going to force him down any particular path. I'll "encourage" him, but I won't force him. And I'm not about to pay for an Ivy League education if he can only get 1200 on his SAT's, that wouldn't be appropriate. Nor possible, at this point. He's got to be "interested", that's the main part of the equation, and that develops very young, as early as one year of age, or maybe even earlier. Nicky's entirely hip to this equation. I trust her completely. :)

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It wasn't so much finances, but my wife & I waited until we were both out of school. There was no way she could finish nursing school while pregnant and there was no way I would've been able to continue working full time while going to school evenings and have enough time for a newborn.

Heck, I don't have as much time as I want for a newborn now! :eek: If I could I'd stop working and be a stay at home dad and take care of our son while my wife played bread winner.