1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much did you pay for your Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    At Guitar Center there's this beautiful HH Stingray, which I'm really close to buying. It's about $1200, and i'm thinking about saying, "I'll pay $650" and work my way up. Advice wanted for haggling!

I think it's Saphire Black.

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    This technique works for me.

Start by saying what you like about the instrument instead of trying to devalue it. The salesman will warm to you more if you hype the instrument a bit instead of dissing it because dissing it is dissing him..

Say things like, "you guy's have really kept this in great condition" instead of "it's a bit dusty" or "I really wanted sunburst but this POS will do"... don’t be to gushy just be nice and genuine.

Then look him dead in the eye and say "what is your very lowest price on this".. then after he says a price say "oh, I was hoping there was more margin on this, what’s your lowest CASH price”? have the cash on you it’s a great bargaining tool because salesmen LOVE a fat till at the end of the day. Also dropping the “margin” word in there is good because it’s speaking his language.

He will probably come down a bit more and this will be around the very lowest price he will sell it for.

always let them say a price first because he who shoot's first usually looses.

Good luck and don’t forget to shop around, bouncing prices of other stores can get you a better price but it won’t setup a good relationship with a single store.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $650, ha, hope you dont get laughed at. Those being new models that move pretty well, good luck..

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It willbe more realistic to shoot for $900 to $1000. Remember the guy has to make money too.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I paid $700 used, four years ago. If you can get a GC sales monkey to not walk away after offering him $650 you must be amazing at something.

A double bucker model is a hot seller, going to have to offer him something higher, maybe in the $900-1000 area as syciprider said.

6. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    You should be grateful you live in the USA. Here in Germany the average price for a Stingray is about $2000 ...

7. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Cost is about $900 on those. Good luck.

8. i paid thirteen hun straight from ernie ball.

9. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I got a beautiful Stingray for 810 bucs on ebay. I would say check there too.

10. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    i got my sr new in a box from gc, sunburst and all for 850. Do repeated business with somone at gc... There ARE a few nice guys out there.

11. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Mine was $1,300, which really isn't bad, seeing as most basses here still go with the retail price.

It has it's years, they say, but it really isn't noticeable at all.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Forgot to contribute.. i paid $1450 shipped, straight from EBMM for my HH SR5.. which should be coming within the month. Pacific Blue Burst has a slight upcharge.

13. I hate to hijack the thread, but I found a beautiful EBMM 4 string Sting Ray, ash body, all maple neck and only the single humbucker p'up with two band preamp... The tag said $1200 and I was thinking that I could get it for at least $900... What do you EBMM buffs think??? Also, I'm pretty sure the bass was a year or two old, not new.

Thanks, and sorry, I'm not trying to hijack thread, lol.

-ryan-

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Go for it, of course.

15. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I bought my Natural Finish Stingray 4, for about $899...but this was 13 years ago. About a year later I bought another Natural Stingray 4 Fretless for $849. Since then, the prices have increased significantly, being about $1200 for a 4 and $1500 for a 5.
    But my honest opinion, and this is ONLY my opinion, I do think the newer ones of today are a bit overpriced as compared to their quality. From looking and playing a couple at my local Guitar Center, I feel that quality has dropped some, especially in the neck finishing. The necks seem a little on the thin side, and fret edges protrude past the neck. Pisses me off, big time. Not sure if it's only these couple that I played, but I much prefer my '93.
    I have since traded the Fretless for a G&L L2500 when they first came out around '96 I think. My SN is below 001000...

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The quality has not dropped at all, i can guarentee it. Your post loses any relation to EBMM when you state 'Guitar Center' Herein lies your problem.

17. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    ...never said I had a problem...:eyebrow:
    why don't ya school me?

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not your problem. The problem with the situation, which you dictated as being a quality problem. I should have said, the problem* not your problem

If you try some new ones out of GC, perhaps straight from the factory or to a small reputable dealer, you will see that the quality is just as good as it was in earlier years.

19. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    but what does GC have to do with the quality issues I have described? Have they been housing some knock-off type MM's?

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, they just treat their instruments like crap. Poor humidity and temperature storage at times, not to mention hundreds of grubby hands all over them all day. Often they try to sell used basses as new also.