how much did you pay for your upright?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DrGroove, Aug 14, 2001.

1. DrGroove

Jun 8, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just curious... uprights are such strange creatures, there's really no 'street price' for uprights...

oh, and is your upright a plywood, solid top ply back/sides, or all solid?
  2. julioone

julioone Guest

Jun 20, 2001
    Suring, WI, USA
    I bought my bass for $225.00. It turned out to be an early 1800's carved French bass. Pure Luck!
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I bought mine for $3000 in '97. It is a Prague made, c.1930 5-string Juzek in flawless condition. The store in Dallas that had it wanted $6900; I loved it but couldn't pay that much. One day about 3 months later the owner called me up and said he was building a studio and needed cash. He asked how much I could afford and agreed to sell it to me. No regrets here; it appraised for more than double that but I wouldn't sell it for twice the appraised value. My teacher thinks one of the Ruggeri decendants was working in the factory when they made my bass, because a Juzek shouldn't be that good ;)

4. DrGroove

Jun 8, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn. I think I stopped breathing for a second there. I gotta say, you are one lucky bassist for landing such a sweet ride for such little dough.
  5. DrGroove

Jun 8, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Freaky, man. Some lucky cats out there with some killer basses. Love me a Juzek... only had the opp. to jam on one once, it was sweet!
  6. julioone

julioone Guest

Jun 20, 2001
    Suring, WI, USA
    The only "problem " with having such an instrument is that I can't bang it around and bounce it from place to place in the back of a truck as I had before I knew what I had. I have had it for about fifteen years. Now I am in the market to buy a new engelhart for such transport reasons. The old man I bought it from said that it plays by itself after about a half hour of playing and it really does. the feel and reaction are sooo nice and easy to play and it does seem to play itself after warming up.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    2000 Strunal 50/4, all-laminated, ebony board and trimmings, mail-order via 'Net...$1150. I've since sunk about $500 or so for upgrade parts and accessories. No complaints as of yet, and have had some nice compliments from other players and luthiers who had no idea the thing was so cheap.
  8. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Juzek, unknown year, marked "formerly in Prague" and also "S Zum Berge". Light, blondish-red finish and a nice all-around tone. $3000 from Gage's shop in '93. BTW, I don't know what the story is nowadays, but back then Gage spent the entire afternoon showing me basses and then tweaking the one I chose. He didn't treat me like the novice that I was for one instant. A great "buying experience"!

Also, don't get pissed:
    American Standard, plywood, probably 1920s-40s. This bass is loud as hell. When I received it, the strings were sunk into the bridge an inch in some places! It had been in the bowels of a Navy ship in Greenland so it had some problems.
    Price: free!!
    An older gentleman who couldn't play anymore due to back problems gave me the bass after hearing me play one night at a club. His only requirement was "No Country and Western on this bass!!" The bass is great for bluegrass...don't tell him!
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, I'll bite... I got my carved German bass last November for $3200. I've since sunk in about $600 for setup stuff (two setups, the second done very well by the Bass Cellar, bridge curve adjustment, neck shaving, and new endpin). I've also got about $400 in pickups firmly mounted on it. I consider it a huge bargain at ca. $4200.

I also got my American Standard - the 158th one made, pictures of which will soon grace these very forum pages in the UGLY contest - for free. It was abandoned at a university music camp by persons unknown when the neck came off. One of the university bass students knew I was looking for a bass, and said I might as well have it and see what I could do with it since it would probably get thrown out if no-one took it. $800 in repairs later, it was my first DB and I played about 150 gigs on it. It's still a great bass, but not to look at.
  11. I paid $1500 for my plywood G.A. Pfretzschner back in January. I think it's about 50 years old -- a sticker inside says:

Everything Musical
    The Music Center
    Phone - Hollywood 8-9144

Another label gives the maker, and says it's a copy of a 1727 Antonio Stradivarius.

No ZIP code in the address (Santa Monica Blvd.), so it's definitely pre-mid '60s. The phone number leads me to believe it's 1950s or earlier. It's either pre-war or post-war, because I have a feeling German-made basses weren't imported during the war... :)

I suppose there's also the possibility that the bass was second-hand at the point the Music Center got their Angelino fingers on the bass.

The headstock has a strange carving on the back that I've never seen on a "cheap" bass.

I bought the bass from a local university professor (jazz history) who is a very good trumpet player who dabbles in bass (I wish I could "dabble" that well!), and had a few basses he wanted to get rid of (small house).

I need to have the soundpost reset (it's too tight), but other than that it's a solid bass with ebony fittings and a nice character to the sound.

12. My newest one a 1/2 size hybrid cost $20 at a yard sale. It was a total wreck with the neck loose about thirty inches of top unglued, and missing parts, the tail piece the end pin, and the tuners. I did all the work my self including the refinishing as it was painted blue with spray paint. Total cost about $200. My Karl Miesel laminated bass cost $550 used about ten years ago.
  13. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Strunal 5/35 hybrid - $900 on Ebay (yeah it was a gamble) $600 for new fingerboard, bridge, soundpost setup etc... It's a decent bass without much character - probably needs some further tweaking. You guys with the amazing yard sale/free deals are making me jealous.
  14. I got my bass for free about the same way as Chris. A buddy of mine works in the theatre department at a local school and found it in a storage closet and asked the director of the department about it and now its mine. And one of these days I'll have it playable!

Oh yeah, its pretty ugly too!
    My bass's website
  15. I got burned on a chinese plywood 7/8 busetto style bass on ebay. BUt I made freinds with a German man who does most of the repair and maintainence for the symphonies in this area. He took a liking to me and set me up with a plywood Juzek of non-descript year with all ebony appointments for $2200.

It's a sweet ride, really nice low action and plenty of volume.
  16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You call THAT ugly? Compared to what you'll be seeing soon in the American Standard thread, that thing looks like the Hope Diamond. In a couple of weeks (more or less), you're gonna see UUUGGGLYY.

17. DAVEinRI

Feb 14, 2000
    Warwick, RI
    I bought my 1925 American Standard for $120 in 1961. It has a replacement neck, I think (glued on vs. carved ears the supposed tip-off). I have since restored it (veneer repair, new finish, planed & dyed the board, built new tailpiece, installed new end pin. I think it LOOKs great as well as having that great AS SOUND.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The year you bought your bass is pretty important.

I have two plywoods, a no-name German bought for $300 in 1981 and a Juzek bought for $2300 in 1998.
    Most of that $2000 difference is due to nothing more than the 17 years between purchases.
  19. 1st - traded a Martin alto sax with a bent octave key.
    2nd - $175 (1958)
    3rd - a WHOLE LOT more
    4th - more than that
    5th - more than 4th
    6th - $3,500
    7th - $2,200
    8th - 1/3 of 5th
    9th - same as 4th
    10th - WAY more (4th plus 9th)
    11th - just under 10th
    12th - just under 3rd

1 and 12 = American Standard
  20. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    FREE. 1941 Kay, my first URB. In 1966 it was a casual gift from the basement of a fellow student (a vocalist, now a lawyer and judge), and it that was a former magician's prop, painted gold & blue with no fingerboard or any other hardware. My Dad and I spent many an hour gently sanding it, staining it dark, and adding all the parts it was missing.

I bought and sold two other Kays while I still owned the first, whose neck was warped beyond playability. After a new ebony fingerboard it was ok the first time. Then had the fingerboard reshaped to accommodate the warp- can't really tell.

Juzek (MasterArt of unknown vintage so far; Kolstein says it has to be Prague, another says Germany Master Art, which Kolstein says doesn't exist). $2300, but a "well-played" bass that has had its share of bumps and breaks over the years. But it sounds wonderful.

I'm also currently holding on to one of the Bulgarian carved basses; $1875.