1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much difference does a wenge fingerboard make?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jontom, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Am I crazy to do this? I love my 4 Warwicks, which all have wenge necks/fingerboards and love the growl that they all have... I also have a 1984 Aria SB 1000 neck-thru bass, which over the years has been modified with EMG humbuckers/electronics and a Badass bridge. My only gripe with it is that it has a rosewood fingerboard and lacks the punch of my other basses. I recently scored a wenge fingerboard and am thinking of having a qualified luthier remove/install the fingerboard. It will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 and change. Is it worth it?

2. There are so many factors contributing to a bass's sound. My guess is that you might move ever-so-slightly toward the sound you're after, then what? Change over to bell brass frets? Then MEC electronics, etc? I don't mean to sound sarcastic or combatative, but w/4 Warwicks you've certainly got that 'niche' covered. There's something to be said for variety, I say. :)