Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much difference does a wenge fingerboard make?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jontom, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Am I crazy to do this? I love my 4 Warwicks, which all have wenge necks/fingerboards and love the growl that they all have... I also have a 1984 Aria SB 1000 neck-thru bass, which over the years has been modified with EMG humbuckers/electronics and a Badass bridge. My only gripe with it is that it has a rosewood fingerboard and lacks the punch of my other basses. I recently scored a wenge fingerboard and am thinking of having a qualified luthier remove/install the fingerboard. It will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 and change. Is it worth it?

2. There are so many factors contributing to a bass's sound. My guess is that you might move ever-so-slightly toward the sound you're after, then what? Change over to bell brass frets? Then MEC electronics, etc? I don't mean to sound sarcastic or combatative, but w/4 Warwicks you've certainly got that 'niche' covered. There's something to be said for variety, I say. :)