Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much discount on NOS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Thinker, Jan 19, 2004.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    How much discount (percentage) off of list price can I expect to get from a shop selling a "new old stock" bass (one that was discontinued years ago)?

The bass is a Hamer USA Cruise bass (not 2Tek), made in the mid to late '90s (don't have the exact year) so there's no "vintage" value.

If anyone has insight into pricing on new old stock (especially if you're a dealer!!) can you tell me what I can realistically negotiate?

Thanks!:)

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that this NOS is supposed to replicate a mid 90's bass? If this is the case, I don't think that bass is vintage, or worth the NOS price.

But now that I am putting 2+2 together, I now think that what you are saying is that the NOS made by Hamer, in which case no one can tell you, because none of us know the condition in which the bass is in.

3. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Oops--now I'm confused. Maybe I'm using the terminology wrong, but I thought NOS means "new old stock", or something that's "new" in a store, but is "old stock" because it's been discontinued.

So what I MEAN is: if a store has a bass that is still "new" in the store, but the model was discontinued years ago, can I expect a better-than-usual discount? If so, what can I expect?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thinker, you are correct in your understanding of NOS.

As far as the price goes, it depends on how badly the store wants to get rid of the bass. If they are tired of looking at it, and you have cash in hand, they might make you a great deal. OTOH, if they want to get the original marked price, even if it sets there for 20 more years, that is their right.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Might be nothing or might be a lot depending!!!

The longer a bass hangs on the wall, the more it costs the shop.

On the other hand, if it hasn't sold for years and they are in need of quick cash they might knock a lot more off.

6. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for you replies to a strange question, folks.

Probably there's no "right" answer--but your input has been helpful.