1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much distortion can you get from an SVT? (Trujillo amp question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Willem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Saw Metallica couple of weeks ago in Antwerp and Rob had this amazing tone. Deep, distorted, brutal. There were four times 3 mesa 412's and 1 ampeg 810 on stage. I think one of the 412's and of course the 810 are Rob's because metallica.com states his amps as Ampeg SVT II and 810 cabs and mesa rectifiers and 412 cabs. Does anyone have an idea how much the mesa adds to his tone? Because I can't afford such a rig, but I could afford an SVT stack. But how close could I get to a tone like that without the mesa?

Or should I just get a Berg 610 with my trace hexavale and look for the right distortion pedal to make it work?

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    bump

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Not very close. He is surely using the mesa for distortion as it is a guitar head. You would probably have just as much luck using a distortion pedal, any decent rig, and a lot of tweaking.

4. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    then why doesn't he?

I've got nothing against pedals if they're what you want.

but they DON'T sound like the 'real thing' of a cranked up amp.
    Ever.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Trujillo uses both pedals and amps. Why? Because he can. He can also turn up an SVT past its RMS wattage for the same reason. Most of us can't get away with Metallica volume levels. Therefore if we want that tone, we usually resort to pedals.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I've read on wikipedia that robert uses a tech 21 xxl for his distortion. he probably uses the pedal for when he plays for whom the bell tolls and orion.