1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much do music schools care about grades?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by NDBass, Jan 25, 2012.

1. NDBass

NDBass

Jan 22, 2012
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm in highschool (soph.) and I'm of course interested in taking jazz bass playing to the professional level. I know conservatories don't care too much about grades but I also wanna apply to a few university based schools like Eastman and Boyer (Temple) (I'm a A-/B+ student) but would it be smart to not take any more ap classes in order to take more music classes (i go to an arts school)?

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    If I ran a music school the grades would be:

A#
    A
    Ab
    B#
    B
    Bb
    C#
    C
    Cb (even though I hate when people notate Cb)
    D#
    D
    Db
    and
    F Below Middle C

A perfect grade point average would be 440

But, that wasn't your question and no one would apply to my crappy music school anyway, so...disregard, sorry.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    In seriousness, I think the best advice would be to contact the music schools you think you might be intested in or go on the websites and ask for the admittance requirements. There are usually applications and auditions, but the objective requirements are usually published or at least available.

4. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    In general, most universities' music programs will be concerned with your ability first and grades second, but a very close second. The people who concern themselves with grades would be the office of admissions. You GPA seems good to go for most state universities. To the admissions councilors, it's an indication of your ability to handle the workload, along with your SAT or ACT scores. Minimum GPA requirements are generally posted by the office of admissions (or some related entity) on their websites. Keep studying, and KEEP PLAYING!