1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much do racks weigh?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I know, stupid thread, but I recently got an SVT-II (non-pro) and it came in a 6 space SKB rack. I've never taken the amp out of the rack. Just curious - how much does the rack weigh? If I could cut even 5 pounds, I know it doesn't make sense, but I would probably take the amp out of the rack - maybe it would be easier to carry as well.

Skel

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The rack probably weights 3-5#. I think you'd find it's a LOT easier to carry a heavy rack amp with it in a rack. Otherwise you'll likely damage some controls or bend the ears. I'd leave it alone if it works well.

3. Pfft, im away to stick mine in a road ready 4U shocmount case, its going to be over 150lbs altogether, thats heavy :p

And, aye, i'd leave it in, those SKB cases arent heavey at all and give you the side handles and front and rear protection

4. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    You'd be better off leaving it in the rack. Last thing you wanna do is drop your head while it's not in a rack; at least the rack gives you some protection.

5. Racks vary from small racks to pompously large racks... its just personal preference. But one thng is for sure, any rack is a good rack! :)

6. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    Are you carrying around the SVT-II in the 6-space rack by itself? A 6-space rack is a pretty big especially for just a head. I'd get a bit more gear such as a rack tunner or compressor if that's your thing and take advantage of the room. Or maybe trade down a couple sizes to a 2 or 4 space rack. Like others have said, keep it in a rack for protection.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I really doubt that figure. Maybe if it was made of cardboard. I'm thinking more like 14 or 15 pounds depending on model. I'm betting one could look on the SKB site if they really wanted to know.

8. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    +1. 5 pounds is abnormally light for a 6 space rack.

9. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
  10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My Mesa sus-4 (road ready) shock rack weighs in at 40 lbs.

11. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Depends, is it an "A" cup or a "D" cup?

12. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho

My apologies, I stand corrected. I have a pair of 2 space SKB's and made a guess based on their weight. With a 45# RMX power amp the weight of the rack seems pretty insignificant.

13. Its a 4U amp tho, so a 2U case wouldnt be much good :p

14. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    AWESOME! -1 to me for not paying attention! :confused:

15. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    SKB makes a rack with wheels on it. It has a folding handle and rolls around like that luggage you see for business people at the airport. I used to use that for my Mesa...it really comes in handy!

16. wordboy

wordboy

Feb 13, 2006
    I think I would look for a compressor or a tuner or an effects unit to fill up some of the space!