Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Much do Squiers Suck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgavin, Jan 27, 2002.

1. I want to practice some major surgery on a bass by routing the body for pickups, etc, etc.

My thoughts are to work on a Squier 5-string.

How much does the neck suck on these?

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    how much do the necks suck?? just as much as every other component on the squires...

get a new bass, no one will tell you that upgrading a squire is a good idea. save youre money or youll be kicking yourself later on...

wait, what exactally is your question??

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What kind of Squier 5 string? They have two models. I had the P-bass Plus and other than the electronics the thing was GREAT. The sound was good, felt good, and the construction was better than most Squiers I have seen. I think they are pretty good for the money.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

bgavin, I've never owned a Squier 5, but based on my experience with one several times in a music store, I agree with old_skool on the P bass plus 5. Except for the fact that it had 4 string pickups which resulted in a very quiet B, everything else about the bass was top notch for a $250 5 string. It had a pretty tight B, and to me that means a good stiff neck.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    "no one will tell you that upgrading a squire is a good idea."

Really? I will. I have played a couple of squires, and was very surprised at the quality. The pickups and hardware aren't great, although they are definately servicable. The necks and bodies (the important part) were pretty good. Put in some good pickups, and maybe a Badass II bridge and some new tuners, and I would definately gig with one. When I first started playing (1975) cheap basses (and guitars) were nearly unplayable they were so bad. But things have changed a lot in 25 years. Cheap instruments are now pretty good. If that is all you can afford, they are certainly usable. And if you want to perform major surgery as bgavin does, then I would definately do it on a Squire instead of a more valuable Fender.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bruce, maybe you'd do better with Warmoth's thrift shop and/or used...

7. I think what he is asking is wheather He can use the Squire Neck stock to create a Frankenbass, and wheather the neck is of a decent enough quality to make it worthwhile. Same sort of thing i was wondering about With My MIM Jazz.
    After reading thru some threads on the subject I think It depends on each individual neck in both our cases. If your neck is solid and striaght then i would think putting new Pups and hardware would be Ok. Just do some research on what U want and cost as U may find that for the sound U want u could probably buy another whole bass for the cost of Upgrading your Squire.

"You can't be too rich or too cool or own too many Basses" :D

8. I'm looking for a $75 to $100 5-string ho that I can practice surgery on. If I screw it up... no big loss.

The intent with the Squire P5 is to route out those awful pickups and replace them with a set of Bart soap bars. If it actually worked out, it would be nice to keep as a beater/player.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Although this is Talkbass and I'm first and foremost a bassist. I do have a Japanese Squier Strat. IT's brilliant - very good neck, nice and playable, body is fine. I juts put a set of Fender Texas Special pickups and to be honest it sounds and plays every bit as good as my father's '79 USA Fender Strat - but is a few pounds lighter and cost less than half of what a USA standard Strat.

Do Squiers suck?? Mine doesn't!!

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    they don't suck at all!

11. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    >My thoughts are to work on a Squier 5-string.
    >I want to practice some major surgery on a bass
    >by routing the body for pickups, etc, etc.

That's exactly what I did. I replaced the stock 4-pole pups with a single 5-string P pup mounted backwards (B/E coil near the bridge in MM location).
    Now I've got a KILLER bass. Plays great, sounds great, and the B string is super tight and focused.

As for the neck, mine is perfect: impeccable fretwork, and I get a pretty low action without any buzzing (even lower than my Jazz and my StingRay).
    You have to like WIDE necks though (I do).

holderman.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    IMO, Squires are a good bass to try and do that type of stuff too. The cost is what imo makes it a good idea. And more often than not they usually sound quite a bit better after being remodified.

13. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    Here's a (crappy) pic.
    A black StingRay style pickguard is in the works.

holderman.

14. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    That looks pretty cool.

15. ive owned my squier for about 4 years now, sure its not the best bass or the best looking, but it gets the job done right???

all i really have to do is adjust the next evreyonce in a while.

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Actually I find Squier to be one of the less stinky Fender copies. I think you could probably find a fixer-upper for a lot cheaper than a Squier.

If you want to make something that is actually good, I agree with an idea which was posted above: Get parts and put it together.

17. I find squier to be desperate. I see the strat paks and p-bass packs at k-mart and target now. A fende rhas better quality if you have the bass play issue when they rate all the bass packs they show a rating on the squier p-bass so read that i think it is the december bass player

18. squires really arent as bad as everyone says they are, i have the affinity p bass as my first bass, i refuse to sell the thing. Its really not that bad

19. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I would stay away from them. Im sorry but IMHO they do suck, they are not a hidden jewel like some other basses. It will probably hack off all of the guys that own them but its the truth. One of my best friends is a luthier, he also does all the major repairs for our local Mars, GC and other big stores around here. It would amaze you to see the amount of stuff that goes wrong on these basses, necks twisting,bending,splitting yes splitting. They say they are solid wood bodies, well plywood that is and yes on some of the models that are supposed to be solid, I have even seen them made from what appeared to be chipboard. I know alot of guys will come out of the woodwork and say "its not possible" or that im just a liar but its the truth and i have seen it with my own eyes. It really just irritates me the things that the fender company gets away with just because of the sticker on the headstock. Sorry for ranting

EDIT: bgavin , how can you be so exacting with your rig but not the bass? I would start with something else that has a better foundation.

20. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I have a squire 5, plays better then what i payed for it. How it is setup depends too, my uncle is a luthier so i got the hook up for free.