Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much do they pay you at Guitar Center?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lo-end, Oct 28, 2004.


  1. lo-end

    lo-end

    Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I need a job and I want to work as a sales guy at a Guitar Center. How much do they pay you there? Do you get insurance or anything like that?
     
  2. jive1

    jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

    Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't know if things have changed, but back in the day it was straight commission (no hourly pay, just commission) and you get into some profit sharing thing after a certain amount of time (6 months?).
     
  3. DigMe

    DigMe

    Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey they never pay me anything! Usually I end up paying them for something. That'd be cool if they paid me every time I visited though.

    brad cook
     
  4. Nick man

    Nick man

    Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Minimum wage or slightly less plus draw commision bassed on your time there and your certification level.

    Lets say you are at the lower levels and make 10% commision of your sales (over simplification).

    That means if end up with a paycheck of $900 at the end of the month you need to sell at least $9010 before you see $1 of commision money. You final income would be $901.

    If you sell $9025 your final paycheck would be $902.50. If you sell $5,000 your final paycheck is $900.

    Its really hard to make good money there and they dont hire part time. You will probably end up working overtime most of the time.
     
  5. slugworth

    slugworth Banned

    Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    No wonder why their profits are soaring and their stock price is going thru the roof!!! They primarily sell a bunch of low end junk gear at exorbitant prices and the employees work for free.

    Slug
     
  6. Benjamin Strange

    Benjamin Strange Commercial User

    Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It varies region to region, but for the most part they try to pay as little as possible for all employees until you reach the level of store manager. On the west coast, they pay minimum wage against your commission, which ever is highest. The commission rate is 8% of the profit plus 2% of the gross sale. Your ratio of the profit is taken from the total landed sale, not actual cost. Example: $1000 retail strat costs GC $500. Shipping is $25. GC also adds a 10% markup to the cost to supposedly cover administrative stuff (total BS). So the cost on the strat is now $575. All Fender products are sold at 30% off, so the sale price is $699. Which makes the profit on it a whopping $124. You get $23.90 for selling it.

    Slave drivers, I tell you. Just one of the many reasons I refuse to shop there.
     
  7. lo-end

    lo-end

    Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Alright, what about benefits or insurance plans?

    edit - i just check the guitar center website and it said their employees have insurance available and they have some kind of profit sharing
     
  8. Nick man

    Nick man

    Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You get $23.90 if you sell enough that month. Otherwise you make $0.

    You know that but I wanted to emphasize it.
     
  9. Benjamin Strange

    Benjamin Strange Commercial User

    Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    True dat.