Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much do u play a day?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mikey96, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Hey, I was just wondering how much everyone plays a day (or how many days u play a week at how much time), and how far behind I am of everyone else haha. Anyway last year I played everyday for at least 45 minutes, at the beginning of the year my resoulution was to play longer and not miss playing one day, so far im holding up my end of the deal, now I play everyday for at least 70 minutes.

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I think that's one of the questions that can sort dedicated musicians from lazzy amtateurs as I am.
    Hehe.
    Well, depending on external factors like family, job, other hobbies ... oops ... passions : from 30 minutes to 1 hour a day during a whole month ... and sometimes just 3 hours/week (during rehearsal or gig) for a year (shame on me !).

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It depends on how much free time i have...i´m on a boarding school and i have a roommate so i can´t always play when i want to, but i try to play as much as i can

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just don't judge yourself from the time others put in. Some people practice hard, some people start tuning and consider that part of their practice time.

For what it's worth, I spend 16-19 hours a week at practice, plus 16 at club gigs, or as much as 22 in gigs if the group that plays raves is on the loose.

5. i play one to two hours a day, its only cause i lov eit so much and i have a lot of free time, i play at my church for at least a few hours every week. right now i have extra time to practice to because i'm home sick from school with mono! so all m energy is talkbass and play bass!

steve

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Usually,at least one hour per day.But now I have exams at the university,so the time has increased to 3 or 4 hours a day...well,it's a good excuse to myself for not reading:D

7. it´s VERY different from day to day!

but I try to play not less than an hour a day... I probably play around 10 - 20 hours a week.. depending on homework, rehearsals, free time... etc..

8. I practice for at least an hour every night. Plus 4-6 hours at rehearsal twice a week. It all depends it seems it varies for everyone, less for ppl like me who have no social life! :p

Merls

9. Stangg

Stangg Guest

i usually practice at least an hour per day, 2 on weekends, and about 4 on practices. it gets hard with homework and everything, but i manage to pull it off. ( annoying my family in the process.)

10. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    at least an hour a day

11. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I play as much as I can. and I have a lot of freetime. I'de guess I practice about 1.5-2 hours daily.

12. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    It really varies for me: minimum of 45 minutes per day. But if I am playing especially well or trying to learn a new song or whatnot then it will usually end up around 1.0 to 1.5 hours per day. This isn't counting rehearsal time or the time I spend on non-playing things (such as learning music theory).

13. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I do the best I can, with a wife and 2 kids, I have to work a lot (6-7 days a week, + my 50 mile commute, + my reserve duty w/ the Army.) I only get to "amp-up" once or twice a week for an hour or so, but I play unplugged twice that. BUT, in my head I play all the time(while driving,working,ect.) Serious, I pick out the bass lines picture the fingerings ect., even playing "air-bass" with my fingers in the car! It makes my "live" sessions exciting and productive since time is so scarce. So you young punks (no offence I'm just lamenting) live it up, before you wake-up one day and find a 2 year old poking holes in your speakers with a crayon!

14. tonight, picked it up, slapped it to see if i remember the groove i made up last night, put it down. total time 2 minutes. last night was probaly two hours.

15. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm able to squeaze in an hour or two between and after classes.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Counting band practice? About 3 hours a day. Not counting that, on my own time, about a half hour to an hour a day. I'm usually wore out by then end of practice to really practice much. On days that I don't have band practice, I play about 45 minutes a day. So: between 20 minutes and 3 and a half hours a day, depending on the day.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I work at home most days (the commute is a bear) and I'll pick up a bass throughout the day. If I'm not careful time flies by way too fast. I work on new songs, work on sharpening my ears, stuff like that...and I still enjoy doing it.

18. It REALLY differs from day to day for me. Sometimes I'll go a whole day upwards to 3 or 4 days without even touching my bass (EGAD!), but I leave my acoustic at school, which usually means I play at least 15 - 20 minutes per free period at school.
    The most I've ever played would have to be about 4 or 5 hours straight in band practice. I think I actually procrastinate with bass playing about half as much as I do with homework.
    And I procrastinate a LOT with my homework... :p

19. Minimum 1 hour practice daily, monday to friday.

Minimum 2 hour practice saturday and sunday.

2 hour gig with acoustic guitarist in local club on wednesdays.

Thats hands-on. I also spend a great deal of time studying theory on my 2 hour/day commute to and from my day job.

FF.