Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How much do you charge/pay for lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by heavyJams, May 23, 2002.

1. So I was at the Wooten's show again last night and talked to the guy who is playing bass for them. His name is John Billings and he was the bassist for the Donna Summers's band. Anyway, I talked to him about taking some lessons and he said that the lessons are $40 an hour. This guy is an amazing bassist; I put him right up there with Vic as far as slap and funk goes. Do you guys think that $40 an hour is a good investment? That seems like a lot to me. I know everyone is going to say that it all depends on how much I value playing and learning bass. I know that's up to me. What I want to know is if you can really get $40 worth of learning into an hour. A few years ago I took guitar lessons that were about $25 an hour and that seemed fair because the guy is great. I just was wondering if $40 is about standard or if everyone thinks that's too much. Thanks for the input.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Depending on location and quality, $40/hour might be reasonable. Just don't assume that a great player is a great teacher. A great teacher can give you enough inspiration and work to last a very long time.

Mike

3. CtheOp

CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    Heavy: I am currently paying $40 per hour for an excellent teacher who is also an amazing player. Of course, those are 40 Canadian dollars, but let's not quibble about exchange rates.

I have absolutely no regrets about paying this kind of dollar, and I have received far more in return. This level of teacher (if they are truly good) should be able to not only teach you things about musical theory and technique, but general musicianship as well. My playing has improved greatly over the past year and I intend to keep going.

I should also say that 90% of the time, my lesson goes well past the 1-hour limit. We get into a lot of interesting topics and the time flies. It's not unusual for my lesson to go 90 minutes.

If you're not convinced, go for a few lessons and see how you like it. If you can put in the practice time, the lessons will become invaluable.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    My current teacher charges only $30 an hour, which amounts to the same as what I have charged in the past.

I'd say $40 sounds quite reasonable, if the teacher is good. Keep asking yourself if you're getting your money's worth. Have you grown as a musician with this teacher? Is he/she open-minded, and a good person? Is he/she helping you to find your own musical path, and helping you acquire the tools to go down it?

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I charge about $30 an hour for lessons, and take into account that I live in Louisville and nobody outside of here (except my TB cohorts) even knows who I am. If you're taking lessons in a big city, or from someone with "Name recognition", I'd say that $40 an hour is a pretty good deal. Assuming they can teach....

6. GregMcN

GregMcN

May 13, 2002
    I get lessons from a teacher for 16$ per 1/2 hour and liek i read on another post usualy it goes way past 1/2 hour my first lesson went for 90min only paid 16. He is a very good teacher he doesnt seem to be a 'great' player. But he's the best music teacher i'v ever had. Right now he is trying to pump me full of theory so he can send me to a friend of his who is an all round good teacher and player.

7. Thats what I'm paying: $40 an hour! And I think its worth it. But make sure you get your money's worth.

I remember when I first started playing drums I was paying $10 an hour! ... geeesh!

Later -
    K.

8. ... Oh, but I might add that I only take lessons every other week.

Later -
    K.

9. Well, I am currently am getting lessons quite sporadically from a really awesome player and teacher (he plays Musicman S5 FYI) and has had a couple records out on a US minor label (I'm in UK). I pay him a whopping £16.50 and hour, which I think is pretty damn reasonable.

A drummer friend of mine is paying £45 and hour!!! for tuition from a guy who used to drum for Diana Ross and Michael Jackson. I dont think my friend is improving enough to warrant this huge fee.

ah well

sim

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sage advice.

My teacher charges $35/hr. In San Francisco! He is incredibly inexpensive for this area. Teachers usually average $50/hr. around these parts.

For inspiration, don't forget my thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45949

11. Thanks for all the advice folks. I really appreciate it.

12. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    I pay 40 bucks an hour from a guy named Charlie Wooten, but hes been teaching for ten years and is one of the best teachers in Atalanta. By the way, he has no relation to Vic.

13. Absolutely nothing!
    A friend of mine who does lessons gives me a free one every week on Thursdays. He's a cool guy; a metal-head who knows his music. Talk about an oxymoron! :D

14. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    i pay 50 a month....
    i think its 12 bux for a 30 minute lesson
    so every thursday i go up there to memphis to get lessons
    In fact i just got back but...
    Mike my teacher has been playing guitar for almost 40 years (hes in his late 40s) and teaching for 27 years..
    Hes a real great guitarist though.. hes a session worker named Mike Elledge he says hes heard of John Turner too =D

15. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    my friend teaches me for free:)
    hes been playing 9 years, so hes not the best teacher, however, i have learned alot, and have become a better musician because of him.

i will get a "real" teacher this summer, but for now, my friend works great, specially for free.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'd say $40/hr for a "name" bassist is a good price.

At Bass Central, we have 3 teachers, 2 of whom are active presently. Dave LaRue charges $50/hr (and he's WELL worth it! :D), Beaver Felton charges $40/hr but is presently not teaching, and myself - I charge $35/hr. Am I worth it? I can't say, but there are two TBer's that are students, and you could ask them: Dirty Road Cola & Lizzard Tom

Something else to consider, if the teacher you're looking at studying with is teaching in a music store, he or she is most likely having to pay a portion of each lesson's money to the store as "rent" on the teaching space.

Of course the most important thing is: Does the teacher inform and inspire you? If so, he or she is worth whatever they are charging.

17. I pay $15 for 30 min, but thats just at a local music shop. i was taking theory lessons (dont ask me why, it was a waste of time and money!) with a "master teacher" and it cost me $40 an hour. she said that for realllllllllly good teachers, it can go up to $60 an hour.

i charge my brass students $10 for a 1/2 hour, but thats only because i'm an "amateur" (and a high school student). The professionals around here usually charge between $15-25 for a 1/2 hour.

18. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    In the Boston area $50 -$100 per lesson is common.

(This is not at the music store)

I charge $70 and have no shortage of students.

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't (won't?) give lessons (I just don't have the patience) but my guitarist has about 30 students that each pay $25 (per) for half hour/weekly lessons.